• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

1 and 1/2 year old male tegu.

Diesel

I found a male tegu for sale and he is under 2 feet. Does this seem small for an Argentine male tegu? How big should they be about? just depends?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My female is the same age and she is 44", she hibernated both years, 2' is very small, especially for a male

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Diet, temps, supplements and lighting play key roles in their growth, if one I off you may experince some complications but if you lack more than 1 this is usually the result, there was a tegu bobby hill has a video of on youtube, it was 2 y/o and the owner thought he could supplement calcium w/d3 for uvb, and the result was a tegu that was merely 18"-2' lng and very much deformed, it appeared plump but it was no were near healthy

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
^ ^ ^ That plus keep in mind regardless of type not every tegu will grow to be the same size or larger than others.
Are you sure it's a b&w? People get them confused all the time.

Did it hibernate and if so for how long? They can hibernate for seven months out of a year. So if it's been sleep for most of it's life that doesn't leave much time for growth. On top of any other issues from not being cared for properly.

Diesel

he said that he has had a uvb bulb on ever since he was a baby fed him rats and such and gave calcium. So the diet sounded great. He didn't hibernate but he says her burmated because where he lives is really cold. He suspects the cold being why he is so small?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That dosnt add to me under 2' and feeding on rats? Did he specify what size rats and what else he is feeding? I live in chicago and we get brutal winters I have never had a tegu's growth be stunted, they may hibernate but when they wake up they resume growing

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
^ ^ ^ I know right, chicken or turkey deli meat. If it's not local to where you can go see the tegu I would pass. There's too much that's not adding up. It's a bit under weight for my taste, missing some toes and the substrate its on is all wrong. So what else have they not mentioned. But if it's local for the right price,.. why not.

I can't remember if it was this site or the other one, can't find it. But there were at least two new members with tegus on the same substrate. I know one was from another country but the other one's were here in the states. I wonder if it's one of them?

Venom6547

Yeah thats the one i was talking about.. i mentioned the size to him and how it was odd since i live an hour away i was thinking about picking him up but he said he was unsure of why it hasnt grown at all says its around 18inches and has hibernated. He's asking for 250 shipped.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That's way to much for a tegu with potential health problems, I wouldn't even wat to ship my tegu in a horrid condition like that

Diesel

he offered me 240 for it and yeah. I didn't notice the picture i was on my iPod so the picture of him eating didn't show up. But yeah that's the one. As soon as i heard the size it changed my mind about getting it i just was curious to see if that's not too outrageous of a size but it seems like everyone here is very against it. I feel bad for the tegu :S. Something has to be very wrong if it's that small! When i talked to the guy he seemed nice but who knows how the tegu is treated.

Venom6547

I know what you mean, I hate to see it be treated that way, I may go see him to see how bad he really is i didnt notice the missing toes until someone mentioned it.
My tegu is around 2 feet and It'll be a year that i have had him/her in june/july and it was around a foot when i got it but hibernated for 6 months so I hope thats why mines small.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's up to you since it's only an hour away maybe meet half way and see what it looks like. See if he'll come down on the price 250 is a bit much for a juvi B&W. Try to get as much info as you can if you do take it on, like previously stated things don't add up.

First it didn't hibernate, now it did,.. if it did depending on how long may explain it's size along with husbandry. What were they feeding besides lunch meat, the ad named a few things including "mice, not adult" :s then what? Korben is 2ft and he's been taking weaned rats for a min and I'm sure that tegu is bigger than Korben is,.. hopefully.

Also if that's an old pic then what does the tegu look like now.

@ Diesel is Geramino suppose to be Geranimo :p

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That depends on how old the tegu is, if you got the tegu in june/july and it was 12" it was mot like only a few weeks old, +6mos. In hibenation he would only be around 2', my tegus were only about 15-16" when they wokeup from their first hibernation, by the time summer came around they were a bit over 2' then out of no were bamm they hit growth spurts, his tegu didn't hibernate it brumated, brumating tegus stil eat, granted not nearly as much as normal but still enough they would see a little growth, if he is feeding him deli meat his tegu isn't getting any real nutrients

Diesel

haha yeah it is :) i forgot about it that was when i first named it and was not sure :) i totally forgot about how i spelt it :). plus i kinda forgot how to change it. But i have a couple picture like i said he looks good! just seems short in length. And he said exact words "technically he didn't even burmate" Whats that suppose to mean "technically." and i tried talking him down but it didn't happen. I can't believe he told you 250. He said 240 for me. let us know how he is. He has a way pretty white head :)

RamblinRose

5 Year Member
Technically, it did not brumate either, so these is no reason for it to be that small Diesel. I know you are wanting one badly, but just take your time, so you do not regret it. Vet bills mount up easily on cases like this. I know it is hard not to feel sorry for the little guy, but at the same time, this guy wont feel sorry for taking your money. :-/

Diesel

yeah i'm not getting one. I'm not looking at getting one for 240. I rather start off with a baby so when he/she grows big i can say he's all mine :) that's what i'm excited for. I was just looking cause i was thinking about getting two a baby and an older one. I'm for sure getting a baby but i'm just looking around for other ones.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam