• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

10ft X 4ft X 4ft build

JimB

Not as bad as you would think... That pond is around 60 gallons but runs a 2400 gph magdrive pump with filter bags. All ya gotta do is swap out bags weekly and occasionally the pump filter.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

So frick'n jealous! Ok, you have permission to come our house and set it up! heh heh

beantickler

So frick'n jealous! Ok, you have permission to come our house and set it up! heh heh
Funny thing is... I would love to... I enjoy building fun stuff like this. With enough of a budget I can build you a zoo if you want... lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

JimB

Min.jpg

Hey, you could climb Pikes Peak, see Garden of the Gods, and shovel snow today! After you finished of course. ;)

beantickler

For many years in the past I kept and bred New World and Lake Malawi cichlids and some catfish!
All I have left is "PIckles" the Fahaka Puffer fish... He is a loner in a 120 gal aquarium cause he ate all of his friends... He is pushing 14 inches now and only about 3 years old... Bright yellow with purple stripes when hes happy... I was a big time SA/CA Cichlid guy. Love Clown Loaches... I had a 120 full of them... Had guys over 15 inches... In 1 night I lost 12 over 10 inches... Thats about 3k worth of Clowns... After that I sold off all my Polypterous and Severums and I was done... So upset for weeks about it. Also got real big into L number Plecos. Had a ton of money wrapped up in them for a long time. Now I like reptiles. Have a Red Nigerian Uromastyx and a baby Sulcata Tort. Obviously have my Tegu also.

Guman

Bentickler thank you for answering my question. I would like to apologize for asking the specks because I noticed where you gave a clear description.

However, could you please explain why you went with the poundmaster. I have been looking into better filtration for our green iguana. Inside her large enclosure, we have a 50-gallon aquarium and currently run an overhead 60-gallon filter. It is a way to small but was uneducated when we picked the system. No one in our family has kept fish. Nevertheless, I have been trying to learn more to continue to make her system become more self-efficient. Currently, we use a fishnet to scoop large chunks daily.
We have been planning to get a Fluval fx4 canaster filter. Could you please lend any insight into your choice vs. an fx4? If I understand correctly it is recommended for a 250-gallon fish tank running 700 mph. The only math that I could find on the subject of reptiles was for turtles and it recommended 3x's the filtration.

beantickler

Bentickler thank you for answering my question. I would like to apologize for asking the specks because I noticed where you gave a clear description.

However, could you please explain why you went with the poundmaster. I have been looking into better filtration for our green iguana. Inside her large enclosure, we have a 50-gallon aquarium and currently run an overhead 60-gallon filter. It is a way to small but was uneducated when we picked the system. No one in our family has kept fish. Nevertheless, I have been trying to learn more to continue to make her system become more self-efficient. Currently, we use a fishnet to scoop large chunks daily.
We have been planning to get a Fluval fx4 canaster filter. Could you please lend any insight into your choice vs. an fx4? If I understand correctly it is recommended for a 250-gallon fish tank running 700 mph. The only math that I could find on the subject of reptiles was for turtles and it recommended 3x's the filtration.
What is the 50 gal aquarium inside the enclosure used for? Creating a filter with minimal maintenance is fairly simple if you are able to dedicate some space. A sump system with a constant "drip" and overflow make a permanent fix for ever doing a water change again. The only way to keep the water clean and nitrates under control are to do weekly 50% water changes. Another way is a planted sump that requires a lot more knowledge and dedication to understanding the natural nitrogen cycle to keep plants and fish alive. A drip system will only require filter material changes every few weeks to every month or so...

I chose pond master because they are extremely efficient and reliable. A large reptile will produce 50 times the waste of a fish. Generally you want an aquariums water turn over rate around 10 to 15 times per hour. A 100 gal fish tank would need at minimum a 1000gph pump to turn that water over 10 times in an hour. I run 2400gph pump in a 30 gal pond. No such thing as overkill.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

beantickler

An fx4 is for a fish tank... with fish in it... A canister filter could work for you but trust me it will require a lot of maintenance to keep it clean. I know how much an adult iguana poops. Almost as much as a tegu. If water quality is your main goal then a canister just wont do. For a reptile... You will need much more surface area than a canister could ever do.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602