• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

ackie wanted

lotsareps

5 Year Member
i've become so interested in ackies that i desperately want one now!
if someone has an adult or retired breeder that they're willing to sell or trade contact me

i want to get a feel for what they're like before i purchase a group of babies

lotsareps

5 Year Member
lol jen n i used to frequent reptile depot (i know they have a bad reputation but we've never had problems) and they had coupons for this show and we so want to go
i emailed pro exotics just now so i'm hoping they can give me more info

Gx3

5 Year Member
Heres a tame 3 yr old....kingsnake.com usually has some ackies for sale.... <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=53&de=646151">http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=53&de=646151</a><!-- m -->

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lotsareps said:
by the way, why are there hardly any reptile shows in california?!
Ya gotta live on the east coast!! ;)

We have one coming up next weekend (White Plains, NY) that is 75 minutes away. They have it about every 2 months.

lotsareps

5 Year Member
geeze! we get the reptile super show once every once in a while

that ackie looks real nice but i think i might have to pass unfortunately. i'm hoping it lasts for a while but i will keep my eyes open

lotsareps

5 Year Member
hahahaha i'll think about another blue. i just put in fake plants and covered the sides and back of his tank. i figured he was getting too easily scared so i felt why not let him be able to see us with the illusion that we might not be able to see him

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lotsareps said:
hahahaha i'll think about another blue. i just put in fake plants and covered the sides and back of his tank. i figured he was getting too easily scared so i felt why not let him be able to see us with the illusion that we might not be able to see him
Good idea. We normally cover the sides of the tanks for privacy.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Nice going!!!! Now you got me interested in Ackies!!!!!!

I may sell all of the Blue Tegu hatchlings and try to find a couple Ackies at the show.

lotsareps

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:

I may sell all of the Blue Tegu hatchlings and try to find a couple Ackies at the show.

well then you'd have to breed them and i'm putting myself #1 in line for a few hatchlings

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lotsareps said:
DaveDragon said:

well then you'd have to breed them and i'm putting myself #1 in line for a few hatchlings
We got 2!!! One we were supposed to sell at the show (looks female). And we bought a male Red at the show today.

The only problem is the female keeps mounting and mock breeding the male!!!! It's probably a dominance thing but it means they'll have to live separately with supervised visits. They may never get along. Normally you buy a pair or trio as hatchlings and they grow up together.

I took some pics that I'm going to send someone for him to guess which is male or female.

lotsareps

5 Year Member
wow!
if you do get lucky with breeding i want a few!

i'm curious though, when you buy them in pairs or trios, are they from the same clutch? if so, wouldn't starting future breeding projects be compromised due to inbreeding?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lotsareps said:
wow!
if you do get lucky with breeding i want a few!

i'm curious though, when you buy them in pairs or trios, are they from the same clutch? if so, wouldn't starting future breeding projects be compromised due to inbreeding?
We'll see if they learn to get along or they'll be sold.

I'd guess the breeders must have unrelated parents, but since they can't be imported they must be related somewhat. That probably applies to many of the herps from Australia.

lotsareps

5 Year Member
well if they don't get along at all i'll take one!
if they do get along i call dibs on 1st in line for hathlings

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So far they are very interesting critters! I hope they learn to live together.

What are you doing up at this hour on the west coast??? I thought I was bad!

lotsareps

5 Year Member
good question...
i've was sleepy at around 7 or 8pm but i just never went to bed.

plus i'm one of those weirdos who stays up all night every once in a while. i usually only do that when i mess up my sleep schedule (stay up all night so i fall asleep early the next)

so how are the ackies?
any progress?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I went to bed at 12:30am and probably laid there for an hour thinking about what happened during the show. Alarm goes off at 4:35am!!!

I put the Ackies in separate tanks and they'll have supervised visits in a neutral area.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced