• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Aggression towards "strangers"

Brian A

I feel like Amaru is the sweetest, most easy-going lizard. I never ever fear that he is going to bite me. I even occasionally hand feed him (I know some people think that is a bad idea) and it almost seems like he is careful not to get anywhere near biting my hands. The only times, he's shown the least amount of aggression towards me is once when I was taking a temp gun reading near him in his enclosure and he jerked his head towards it thinking it might be food. Even then, he seemed carefully hesitant. He even tolerates me pulling him out of tight hiding spots when he free roams or helping remove stuck shed skin on his toes.

Now, on the other side of the coin, my girl has recently developed a slight fear or at least lack of confidence around him. She spends a lot less "quality time" with him. But she is often the one that lets him out and feeds him during the day since I start work before he really comes out of his hide in the morning. She tells me that a couple of times he has aggressively run at her or "jumped" at her, usually when he is warmed up, hungry, and out of his enclosure.

Is he playing favorites? Does he sense her fear and take advantage? Is he interpreting something on her body as food? I already advised her no necklaces or dangling clothing, but maybe her hair? Or her smell? Any other thoughts?

DreamsOfTegus

I would guess maybe that she's not "his" person and he's being territorial. Spend time with them together and try to help him bond to her as well so he doesn't feel she's the intruder.

Worth a shot, anyway. I'm not experienced by any means, but it won't hurt.

I know I've heard of male iguanas during breeding season are far more likely to charge, or try and make a pass, at a female owner than they would to a male owner.
Now, i dont know if that would be the case with a tegu but it's something that I would keep in mind. It may just be a matter of gender

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That's a tough one. True about green iggy breeding males, and I'm not sure either about courting males.

I wonder if the way she feeds him has him associating her with food when he wakes up hungry, whereas with you, feeding is less often.

Perhaps begin by placing food in a particular bowl while he is sleeping.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam