• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Aww man

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
Well I think Alice is gonna drop a chunk of her tail for some unknown reason :( I took her out roughly 15 minutes ago to go outside for a little sun and I noticed some blood at her tail. So I check it out and it turns out its starting to split? I guess is the best way to describe it. Its only "split" about 1mm in but maybe she will still drop it. I hope not because its about 4"s worth of tail that will come off. Also the "split" is vertical not horizontal.

I've put a butt load of Polysporin on it and put a bandage over that to help keep dirt and what not out, then two more banages on either side of the first bandage as another dirt blocker.

So I guess the reason for this post is to ask if there is anything else I can do? Should I worry about it? She is REALLY mellow right now, with her head on my hand while I type maybe because of the Polysporin ? :S Normally she is walking around and exploring, maybe she's just tired though.

So anything that might help would be nice to know!

Thanks,
Spencer

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
I can't get any pictures at the moment, I'll and get some up as soon as possible. She is shedding her tail and it was just a bit above her "split" but its coming off nicely now that I bumped up the humidity a bit.

I'll try and get some pictures by tomorrow, I'm gonna have to steal the girlfriends camera again! lol

Spencer

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
Okay so here are some pictures. Please excuse the quality of the photos, I'm not the best photographer.

Sarah007.jpg

Sarah006.jpg

Sarah005.jpg

Sarah001.jpg

Sarah002.jpg

Sarah003.jpg

Sarah004.jpg

Here one of Alice just to show you how big she has gotten :)
Sarah012.jpg

Spencer

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
Hmm, looks like it may have got caught in something, but i would think the tail would already be dropped if it was going to, not sure when it happened but that looks like a wound that may heal with time. No expert though

Schnab

5 Year Member
That looks like it's just a cut. When they loose their tails, dosen't it just pop off or does it take time in some cases? Cose it would kinda defie its purpouse as a deffence mechanism

i0r

5 Year Member
Correct me if i'm wrong. But the tail doesn't have a bone structure, right? its only cartilage? Then I would think that if the wound did not reach or separated the cartilage that it would heal just like any wound. Though maybe need some help keeping the wound closed to prevent further separation. Try support it with some bandage and try to keep him calm and don't let him move around too much. As that would bend the tail, maybe making it worse.

Hope you can save it and keep us updated!

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
i0r said:
Correct me if i'm wrong. But the tail doesn't have a bone structure, right? its only cartilage? Try support it with some bandage and try to keep him calm and don't let him move around too much.

I think the tail does have bones but after it is dropped the regrown area become cartilage.

I do have it supported; bandages and medical tape to help keep dirt our.[/b

Schnab said:
When they loose their tails, dosen't it just pop off or does it take time in some cases?

One would think it would just fall off but I believe it also varies if the predator or attacker grabs/claw/bites/etc the tail. I think they would only drop the tail though if it was grabbed and not if they might be attacked, but thats just my opinion.

I took Alice back out today because she got the bandages and tape off some how so I Iodined the area, then put some Polysporin on a bandage, then on top of the wound. I then put some tape on to help keep the dirt out. It did seem to be healing though because there appeared to be new growth where as before it looked like I could see ribbons/strings of something. They looked like small veins but weren't bleeding so that would explain my weird way of trying to describe them.

I'll update if anything changes!

Spencer

i0r

5 Year Member
Ok so first is bone structure....but you get my point right? If it's only a flesh wound and the bones are intact maybe there won't be more than a scar.
Well lets hope it heals alright.

Or in a odd case she might end up like this :D

Imagen002.jpg

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
I was actualy wondering if a tail could regrow from the wound lol.... funny you posted that picture.

"Predators and Defense

Lizards are at their most vulnerable when they are cold, as they tend to be sluggish and easy prey for predators. Their main predators are snakes, wild rodents and birds of prey including kestrels. The lizard's main defences are both the speed at which it can run and the ability to drop the lower part of its tail. Thus if the predator grabs the lizard by its tail, that is all it gets; a squirming tail that confuses the predator and allows the lizard to escape. A new tail will slowly grow. However the new tail, which takes around eight months to reach full size, will not grow as long as the original, and will have a stumpy end, rather than pointed. Occasionally the tail will not drop off completely, and a new tail grows, giving the lizard two tails. They are also in danger from foxes and, where they are prevalent in urban areas, from cats. As they are good swimmers, another option the lizards have is to dive underwater if it feels threatened."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602