• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Bearded dragon(s) or red tail boa for 4x2x2

Dirkthejerk41

I have narrowed my options for my new 4x2x2 enclosure to either a bearded dragon (or two) or a red tail boa. I have done extensive research on both and am prepared for the husbandry. If you have experience with these reptiles, please share. Perhaps pros and cons? I would get both, if possible, but that isn't an option at the moment.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Boas are incredibly boring in my opinion. They do very few interesting things and mostly sit still in my experience. Some people will definitely disagree but I would take beardies any day over a boa.

Deac77

5 Year Member
I keep ONE beardie in a 4x2x2 it's not advised to keep more than one together even in 5x3x3 I've seen a male and female fight. That being said I also have 3 retics let me just say my favorite reptile I own is my beardie

Like to add the retics are boring too...sit...poop...eat....repeat

Cassie

I'm gonna disagree with the statements about boas ;)

I currently keep 3 BCIs and each of them are incredibly active in their enclosures and active while out as well, of course I'm more interested in snakes than other reptiles. I've taken them all outside before, the two smaller don't seem the enjoy it but my 3'+ male will explore around the yard, being watched carefully of course. A friend of mine who also keeps boas says the same of hers.

They are an excellent large snake for "beginners", meaning those who haven't quite handled larger snakes before but do understand basic husbandry requirements. My group are very docile, more so than my ball python, and have only gone to strike at me once during a feeding (this was from the baby of the bunch not my juvies).

Of course, as with anything, you can't put them in an enclosure and immediately expect them to be active, nor can you handle them once every few weeks and hope they'll be docile; they do need time to get used to their surroundings as well as you.

Really, you can get "bored" of any animal, which is why any type of animal rescue exists. Kids are the worst offenders, I think, wanting a new pet and being thrilled with it for a short time then no longer caring, there are so many rescued reptiles alone who have the story of the previous owner no longer being interested in it. If you're going to get bored of something maybe its best you don't get anything living.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Well, that was rude. Literally all I'm saying is that they don't match up to bearded dragons on the interesting scale. I have not given animals to an "animal rescue" before and won't in the future, but I have no problem admitting that I've bought animals and sold them when I either decided I wasn't enjoying them anymore or didn't have any breeding plans for them. If you think that for some reason snakes get attached or go through some emotional trauma when rehomed then I'd have to disagree.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
I don't see why it's different from any other type of enclosure. I do think that the cage is a bit small for an adult boa though.

Dirkthejerk41

On another forum everyone is freaking out about using one because I would need fairly high humidity and the melamine will disintegrate or something if I house a tropical species in a melamine cage..

Tannaros

Dirkthejerk41 said:
okay I think i'm going to sell this one and get a 48x30x18 animal plastics for a boa or keep it and put a bearded dragon in it

You could always just make an enclosure for whatever species interests you most - rather than having to settle for just putting something in there.

It's very easy to do, and requires very minimal skill and tools.

Cassie

My boas are in clear plastic rubbermaid tubs, simply because they hold humidity. When I've got a more permanant residence I plan on building my own stacking enclosures as well as wall-sized display tanks.

And the "if you'll get bored don't get it" comment wasn't directed at anyone individually, more directed to everyone in general. I do get tired of seeing "it bores me so give me $200 for it" ads on reptile forums and craiglist. Id rather not see something purchased and resold later simply because its boring. Breeding stock is different than a pet. I've seen pleny here get up in arms over people getting bored of their tegus and selling them :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced