• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Black and white vs Blue

Frank Harris

What is the difference between argentine black and white and argentine blue tegus??? They both look black and white to me. Which is bigger? Which is tamer? Smarter? Thx!!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What is the difference between argentine black and white and argentine blue tegus??? They both look black and white to me. Which is bigger? Which is tamer? Smarter? Thx!!
Ahh, this always a fun one!

Blues breed true. They're smaller, males lack pronounced jowls, their noses look burnt. Captives are distinctly less tolerant of low temps. They are also considered a Tupinambis merianae, Argentine Black and White Tegu.

I am aware of no differences in behavior.

Get this- the population in central Florida are easily fool-proof separated from southern FL tegus by head shape alone. This is a phenotypically highly cariable species.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Problem is, Walter1, most of that is just rumor, many disagree: they get the same size, not all have the burnt noses, it's hard to tell what is actually "fact" vs "fable" when no one is willing to accurately record any of this. I've been asking for years for a definitive description, it leaves one wondering why no one can do so.
P.S. Salvator merianae

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Problem is, Walter1, most of that is just rumor, many disagree: they get the same size, not all have the burnt noses, it's hard to tell what is actually "fact" vs "fable" when no one is willing to accurately record any of this. I've been asking for years for a definitive description, it leaves one wondering why no one can do so.
P.S. Salvator merianae
Tou have a valid point. Unsure of its status. My descriptions come from my limited firsthand sght of them and interesting findings that Rachel is recording.

All muddied up if they are cross bred with normals.

So, no taxonomic assessment here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam