• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Brazilian Rainbow Boa Issues. Advice?

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
Hey!!
I have a 2 foot BRB, that I bought from a pet store 2 months ago. The little guy came with some friends aka mites. I treated him anyway...but my issue with him is, the little bastard has bitten me about 5 times already.. Ive only had him 2 months :shock:
I understand that it is 99.9% my fault, because the bites happened during the time I was treating him, and keeping him in a carrying case downstairs for a few days (away from my other reptiles), plus I had him to the vet :blblbl :blblbl :blblbl
So, He was obviously stressed.. but still.. I dont want to have a snake that I am afraid of.
I know someone on this forum has a BRB.
Opinions anyone?? Do you think he will grow out of it or should I find him a new home?

Red Earth Exotics

5 Year Member
I don't know much about boas. Young retics can be chainsaws though. With all of mine, all it took was some regular handling and lots of band-aids and they all calmed down very nicely. I'm pretty sure if a retic can get calmed down through regular handling, so can your boa. It sounds like it is still pretty young.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've read BRB's can be nippy when young but they calm down once they get older. Ours never was but she did bite me a couple of times because of a SFE (Stupid Feeding Error).

Post some pics!!

The captain

5 Year Member
Just get used to it! suck it up and face it that he will never be tame.
brbmouth1.jpg

brbmouth2.jpg

HAHA JK. This girl only took a few months to tame down.

Just cure the mites, try not to get bit, but leave it alone while it heals.

She should tame down eventually. The animal just feels super vulnerable while its sick.

After it is healthy, you shouldn't have to big of an issue working with it. some regular handling should get him calmed down.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We don't even handle ours much and she's fine.

The hardest part of when she bit me is she wrapped too. It took a long time to get her off. I had a hard time prying her mouth off of my thumb and keeping it off!

Beazer

5 Year Member
I've worked with a few brazilian rainbow boas and it seemed that they calmed down after they got older. Though, even when older, they had the tendancy to nip. But its definitely normal for baby brazilian rianbows to be bitey. If a baby brb wasnt bitey I woul not buy it lol. But like the others said its best to just give its space for a while. When a reptile overstresses its immune system drops and baby brb arent the hardiest of snakes. Being a nippy/stressed out species I would give it a few months before trying to handle it. And because its going through a lot of stress right now, limit how often you go in the cage. Only go in the cage to feed/clean. Then after a while it may "get used" to your presence and you can work from there. Also, kind of taken from what davedragon was saying, with species that tend to be more stressed out are sometimes better off being left alone and just display animals. But either way, congrats on the pair of Brazilians, those are awesome snakes and can't wait to see tons of pics.

-Jon DeLong

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
When we bought ours at the reptile show the vendor was very busy. He dropped (2) big deli cups full of BRB's on the table and walked away. We handled every one before selecting the one we got. Not one of them was nippy. I was amazed!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny