• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Breeding Insights

BigJay8232

Well to start I have been researching tegus and tegu breeding for quite a while now.

However, I have found a wide variety of information and I'm just looking for some insight from some of the members here.

My breeding plans for this season are as follows.

Pairing my three and a half year old male Blue Tegu with my good friends four year old female Red Tegu. In the hopes of producing some hybrids.

We are planning on pairing them in late March through April.

My my first question is how soon after copulation can the female be confirmed as gravid?

I will be incubating the eggs at 88 degrees and 60% humidity in a 50/50 mix of vermiculite and perlite with a 4 to 1 medium to water ratio. Does that seem correct?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Typically 30-60 days after mating the female usually starts to build nests and lay eggs. During that time look for the usual pregnancy signs like loss of appetite, or not able to eat as much, abdominal swelling, weight gain and things like that but even that's not a guarantee of being gravid. She could just be going through the motions, like a mock or false pregnancy.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Another thing you should do is make sure you have homes lined up and people interested, since she can lay more than 40 eggs. What happens to the ones you can't sell or take longer to sell? Proper food, housing and things like that for so many.

BigJay8232

I've already had several individuals express Interest in aquiring a Hatchling should this pairing be successful. Thanks for the tip though!

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam