• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Buckwheat's Thread

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So I got lucky and found another nice looking female blue tegu. She has been adjusting nicely and eating like a champ, been hammering down anything that hits the bowl. She is from Ty's stock and I am super excited to see how she looks as she gets older. So enough with the chit chat here are some pictures of the new girl.

P3040157_zps67d0a353.jpg

P3040164_zps6112b1aa.jpg

P3040166_zps736b15a7.jpg

P3040167_zps5f7a0325.jpg

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I have a Brazilian opossum that I was going to name Buckwheat, but I felt that "Buckwheat" was really racist sounding. So I changed his name to Sambo.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My mom actually named her, were at the zoo in the garden section and was like hey Buckwheat would be a good name for your new tegu.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
I guess you are too young to get the joke. Sambo is more racist than Buckwheat. :p

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am only in my twenties so its very possible, although my mom still calls Brazil nuts a very unfortunate name.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I had a land turtle /tortoise i named "farina wheat thin " ...farina was buckwheat's girl in the little rascals. :) and my grandmother grew up in that era of "little ***** sambo ". What does your mom call brazil nuts? Haha. You should have heard what my grandmother called those little chocolate babies they used to sell. Ugh. And she'd say it like there's nothing wrong with it! Omg. Crazy world she grew up in... she lived to be a hundred, god bless her.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah my mom calls the ***** toes, its odd because my dad is African American and he would just laugh anytime she would say it, and it always around Christmas. Ozzz the memories. Oh well. I admit I am not bothered by the word or really too much racial stuff, after all every time I go through airport security I end up in secondary inspection it happens.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Yes. I think when a lot of people now say such things it is in a joking manner because it is not 'intended ' as racist. The "n" word..
With an "a" at the end instead of "er" I hear commonly used as a slang for like "hey bro " or "hey buddy " ...haha. among white, black, etc. Any race. And a friend of mine who is white and married to a puerto rican says "yeah my kids have the great hair and skin cuz of the sp** in them! :eek: ... crazy
.. :)

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Yea it depends on jow ots said my best friend who is like my brother is white and we joke about it always

from Samsung Galaxy S3

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol I think its more from where you are from. That an't said too much out west.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh gosh, I hate that word. That's what my family calls Brazilian nuts, too. My extended family is from the deep south and some are VERY racist. I grew up in FL with no accent and people are just people. :)

Lovely tegu, btw.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah the whole side of my mom's family still calls them that. Starting to rethink the name on my tegu though.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Calls them what? please share! Parrot Beaks? What is the name for Brazil nuts? Chink ears? Injun fingers? Please tell! Laura?

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Omg stop. :/ haha. . . The name buckwheat is fine, by the way. He was so cute on the little rascals. :)

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No. Because 1) I don't want to offend any of our gracious members 2) I'm not sure if I've ever actually spoken that word on my own outside of reading classic lit. 3) I don't want to contribute t the delinquency of every thread going off topic.

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced