• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Caiman Lizard Info

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Grendel - I am glad you took the plunge they are fun little guys. The fact that its already eating for you is a great sign. Most of the farm stocked caiman lizards tend to do well on different foods.

TayyB

I also just got a young Caiman Lizard and do the mystery snails at Petco have parasites also ??
and I heard the can o snails isnt as nutritious as the live ones so any suggestions on where I should get snails from ?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Most live snails (including the ones from petco) will have parasites. Different places will have different parasite loads and type, but I would not risk it with a juvi. If you buy some from petco and keep them in a clean environment, have them breed and move the eggs into a clean environment, those hatchling snails should be safe to feed. Really you do not need to have live snails to keep these guys happy.

You can buy snails at the Asain market, my local store is cost just about $3.50 a pound, so its not too bad really. They are cooked and safe for human consumption. I just make sure to give them some repti cal for calcium with the snails. They do not get their calcium from the shell of the snails, I have feed live snails and they spit the shell out. You can watch that here: http://youtu.be/YYB5zkxVR4s

These guys will also take almost any fish or see food, here is a vid of mine chowing down on a shrimp:
http://youtu.be/eynIh7Y9gWM

I even got mine to start eating out of a bowl, and not just snails. He will take Mazuri croc chow right out of bowl, similar to a dog really, lol.

They may specialize in snails but they most likely eat much more than that out in the wild.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Some Quick Changes:
It seems like the temps have put on the first post are a bit low, basking spot should be around 110F. Found out my temp gun is off by about 15 degrees, note to self don't drop it in the water.

Another thing that has some up is getting these guys to eat. As with every reptile the set-up is key. Make sure its hat enough but also check the humidity. Most of the time increasing the heat and humidity seems to work to get these guys to really chow down. If the temp change does not work than try leaving the food in a bowl for the first few days. They are small and need time to build up the trust that you are not going to eat them. Last thing would be try some variety in the diet, but also offer things that the seller would feed.

Until about 6 months of age Bacardi had small meals everyday. He would eat maybe 1/2 to 1 whole apple snail and then be done. Now I wish I could go back to that, have to go to the Asian market each day it seems, not enough freezer space! When he was only eating one it was one a day or every other day, it took him a time to get to the point where he was 'power feeding' loads of food everyday. I would also cut the food up into bite size manageable pieces, this makes it less work for them to eat and is more logical for them. In the wild they would be going for the small baby snails, not the adults, so giving them the right size food is important. Those feeding thawed ground turkey or cat food (those on this forum know how I feel about cat food for reptiles) the size of the food should be fine.

Well got to get started with work soon. I hope to post an update on how to get a Caiman Lizard to eat Mazuri Croc chow. It was kind of a fascinating process.

Renske

5 Year Member
Good job on that Caiman lizard. Its a beautiful animal! And thanks for charing!
Can you please help me with our Caiman lizards? We bought them some days ago and i hoop you can give me some tips... In the netherlands we are the only one how has Caiman lizards, so its very difficult to find al lot of information.
Our Caiman lizards are 3 years of age, FB and 1,5 years in captivity.
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=11058#axzz1pSEwKSYi

RobK.

IF anything ever happened to my Rhino a caiman's lizard would be my next pet . My rhino is enough for me right now and he doing great and i hope he continues . Caiman's are soooo cool !!

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He has been amazing. I am toying with the idea of getting a second one, but I might have to down side on the tegu end if I do that. Who knows.

Rob I am very jealous of your Rhino, not only his care but he is an amazing looking one as well. Keep up the amazing work.

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
chelvis said:
He has been amazing. I am toying with the idea of getting a second one, but I might have to down side on the tegu end if I do that. Who knows.

Rob I am very jealous of your Rhino, not only his care but he is an amazing looking one as well. Keep up the amazing work.

Get a second one and see how it goes, If it doesnt work out, send him to poppa Charlie :)
Haha just kidding but these Caimans floating around here are seriously making me want one - im pretty sure I know what Im getting next.
Chelvis, Have you ever let your Tegus and Caiman interact out in the open together?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My male blue and my smaller female tegu will free roam with my caiman lizard with little problem. My larger female tegu is being really bipolar lately. Somedays she loves being with the other lizard and other times she tries to kill them.

Here is my big tegu Kiska resting with Bacardi in the window. Bacardi really does not mind being messed with when it comes to the other lizards.
IMG_5822.jpg

ry-jen

Hello, just joined the forum. I've just ordered some caimen lizards, they are going to be shipped early September. I'm building an enclosure in the next little while. Just touching base with fellow enthusiasts. Great info on this thread. I will set up my info and get some pictures on here soon.

ry-jen

They have a forked tongue and the body shape is very similar, apparently yes they are close to a tegu. I think I've seen them called a water tegu.

Renske

5 Year Member
We call them in the Netherlands "kaaiman teju", in english: Cayman tegu
The body of a Cayman and the head of a tegu, we say.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They are in the teidii group which also has tegus and whipptail lizards.

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
Does anyone know if you can buy them young and set them up in pairs or trios? Has that experiment been attempted yet? I generally shy away from keeping multiple reptiles together, but it might be beneficial to raise a group if you intend to attempt breeding (maybe).

Renske

5 Year Member
I keep 2.3 adult (5 year old) Dracaena guianensis. They are very friendly to each other... BUT.. when they are maiting.. the males damage the tails. One of my males riped off half of the tail of one of my females. It is almost grown back now, but its not prety. We have had eggs 3 times but becouse of a virus the eggs where destroyed and came out realy ugly... :(
I can tell you. Breeding is extreemly divicult and you need a big group. I am looking for 5 adult dracaena to have more chances of breeding.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks for the input Renske. I think I am going to shy away form breeding and leave that for people with more time on their hands. I have heard it can be brutal (saw a female without an eye from one guy). Group settings are an interesting choice on setting up. I know people have had success with pairs but its been extremely limited. I keep two males now, picked up another one his name is Daggit, and they seem to get along great. I think this year we might see more captive breds on the market but still about 90% will be imports. Its funny for how many are sold as babies there are sure not a lot of people boosting adults, has me wondering sometimes.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced