1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

Detailed Feeding Schedule

Discussion in 'Black and White Tegu Discussion' started by Midwestmonster, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Midwestmonster

Midwestmonster Active Member 5 Year Member

Hi I'm new to the forums and I was just wondering if some would be willing to share their weekly feeding schedules? I've read that some people feed every other day and some everyday....

I'm looking for a detailed Mon-Sun feeding schedule. For example Mon- ground turkey with eggs, Tues -2 rodents, etc....

Please fill out schedule below. Thanks.

Age of tegu/size-
    Mon-
    Tues-
    Wed-
    Thurs-
    Fri-
    Sat-
    Sun-
  2. Midwestmonster

Nobody want to share?
  3. poke

poke New Member

Sure ill share.

Age 10months 2ft

Mon - turkey, chicken gizzard, tilapia, green, fruits and calcium no d3
    Tues - 3 weaned rats
    Wed -
    Thurs - turkey chicken gizzard beef liver code liver oil
    Fri - turkey, chicken gizzard, tilapia, green, fruits and calcium no d3
    Sat -
    Sun - turkey chicken gizzard beef liver code liver
  4. Diablo

Diablo Member

Has your feeding schedule always been that way with that much variety? Or have you perfected it as you went along?
  5. Midwestmonster

Thank you. How long have you had your friend? Is he/she a good weight?
  6. Midwestmonster

Wow, nobody must feed their tegus. Lol. As a future owner I was just looking for some informative knowledge to help myself and others.
  7. james.w

james.w Active Member 5 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

When I had a tegu, I never kept a schedule. I just fed him what I had. The bulk of his diet was rats/mice or chicks. I also fed ground turkey, tilapia, grapes, eggs, roaches. Rarely used cod liver oil. Everything without bones got calcium without D3. When I sold him he was about 14-15 months old and 44" or so.

I know its not exactly what you asked for but its something.
  8. wford84

wford84 New Member

Hi, seems to me to be the wrong way to think having a feeding schedule with an animal that benefits from a varied diet. Tegus all like different things so just see what works. As long as you get him all the vitamins and calcium he needs I think you will be fine. Bobby hill covers feeding well in his care sheet.
  9. laurarfl

laurarfl Moderator 5 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

Sames as james. I just don't have that sort of routine any longer. I have a larger collection and it depends on what is on sale, what i have on hand, what season it is, etc. When they are waking up from hibernation and getting ready to go down, I feed more rodents and necks for calcium. But in the summer, I'll feed more ground meats and pieces.

Hatchlings and juveniles:
    feed daily. ground turkey w calcium, appropriately sized f/t rodents, add a variety of fruit (10%ish of diet)

up to two years old:
    feed 5-6 times weekly, sames as above but add in variety of meats and fish, increase fruit to 20% of diet

adults feed 3-4 times weekly depending on weight and activity:
    add in chicken necks, chicks, variety of meats and fruits, fruit up to 40% of diet