• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

early hibernation?

preston897

well as you know i recently got a bw tegu. he is an import and a few months old. the past few days he has not really come out. just slept. yesterday he didnt eat at all. so today i woke him up to feed him and he had not interest in the food. he at like 2 bites and a small roach. then just lost interest again. as soon as he went back in his cage he buried himself. he did come out for a few minutes after that. but then went back to sleep. could he be starting to hibernate? since he is an import their seasons are reversed?

preston897

i really think he is starting to hibernate.he is not has active as he has been. usually he wakes up and runs around his cage in search of food. now he is not doing that. he comes out for a few and basks then goes back into the hide. he has been getting less and less active the past few days.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
what are the temps in your cage and how the humidity and what UV source are you using.

I'm not sure about hibernating but then again i've only delt with captive breed animals. But lets see what the set up stats are before we say hibernation.

preston897

his basking spot around 110. an ambient of bout 82. and the coold side is around 75. i dont know the exact humidity but i know it is not bad. i mist multiple times a day and all of his shed have come off very easy. i also keep sphagum moss in there that is kept moist. he burrows in it. the uv is a zilla low pro tube light. i have used them on other reptiles and it seemed to work good. and before the weather got all crappy here about a week ago i would take him outside. as soon as it cleard up he started getting less active. also he is captive bred. but it was on a tegu farm in argentina. today he was being more active. running around. so i offered food and he only ate 2 roaches. when i put him back in his cage he basked for a bit and went back under his hide. he just seems to be slowing down. he has not been out as much the past 3 days.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced