• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

earthgro brand "natural choice" topsoil?

turtlepunk

alright. I decided that I want to go with a soil/sand mix for my tegu.
Im planning to check out some local landscaping shops for organic topsoil but came across some stuff at home depot for really cheap.

Earthgro brand topsoil.
the ingredients are as follows: Regionally formulated from organic and inorganic materials derived from one or more of the following: peat, forest products, compost, ash, sand or native soil.

was just wanting your opinions on this.
These ingredients are very vague. forest products? compost? ash? Is natural compost even ok for tegus?

Decided to go with a sand/soil mix because i was reading that it holds a burrow better and im really paranoid about the tegu trying to eat the cypress mulch and becoming impacted (I keep coming across forum posts with this issue).

adam1120

if you look aeound theres alot of local people on craigslist who sell soil i think its under wanted or sales. for big farms and stuff they have all organic and natural material soil for like 1$ per hundred pounds way cheaper to go and cypress mulch/sand/soil is wat i use and oonly become impacted if you feed in there cage ill be taking my out feeding in food in:D

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Feeding in the cage isn't the only way they can get impacted. I caught my tegu eating the mulch on more than one occasion when I was using cypress mulch. I switched to a sand/soil mix since then.

Kebechet

I've used compost based topsoil with Link. It works fine. I just had to remove the occasional fruit sticker that never decomposed. I just went to Ace Hardware and got a cheap compost/sand/gravel mix without chemicals. It works great. After he eats, he'll wander around his cage and dig around for small rocks to help him digest his food. This seems to be a normal behavior, and he's never had any impaction problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam