• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

"Exotic" lizard

TheWonderer

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a lizard that grows no more than 1 1/2' to 4' and has different husbandry needs when compared to my other animals. I want to get out my comfort zone and work with more reptiles. I do have the time and should have more space in a few months. I will not get the reptile until I have the space but I would prefer to get a baby if it is on the bigger side.

I have experience with tegus, chameleons, leopard geckoes, bearded dragons, tortoises (red footed), chuckwalla (dealt with mites and he's doing well), and ackie monitor (would not consider another). I have the tools needed to build another enclosure and I can buy the wood. I was thinking nothing bigger than 6'x4'x6'.

Please let me know thoughts and opinions. Pros and cons would great and maybe give me an idea of what your recommendation eats. I have a tegu and chameleon so I have crickets, mice and ground turkey in the house often enough. I have thought of a snake but in my opinion, one snake is more than enough for me.

Thank you!

JimB

Make it a 8x4x4 and get a Rhino ;) They love leaving you little gifts. :)

Titus2_9_17b.jpg

TheWonderer

Ended up going with a Peach Throat Monitor. I am building an enclosure for it this weekend because he is about 18". He is super cool but his claws are so sharp which is reasonable considering they need those for climbing. It may never be too tame but I wanted to try out a completely different care.

For reference, a tegu will stay on your shoulder--Salivar jumped off my shoulder. He ended up letting me grab him. I think it was love at first jump? It was super cool and thankful he stopped so I could put in the temporary enclosure.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ended up going with a Peach Throat Monitor. I am building an enclosure for it this weekend because he is about 18". He is super cool but his claws are so sharp which is reasonable considering they need those for climbing. It may never be too tame but I wanted to try out a completely different care.

For reference, a tegu will stay on your shoulder--Salivar jumped off my shoulder. He ended up letting me grab him. I think it was love at first jump? It was super cool and thankful he stopped so I could put in the temporary enclosure.
Congrats on your new peach throat. They're beautiful, manageable in size, even if best as a display animal. Post a photo.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced