• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Feds Move To Ban Pythons & Boas

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.pethobbyist.com/sitenews/index.php?/archives/202-Feds-Move-To-Ban-Pythons-Boas.html">http://www.pethobbyist.com/sitenews/ind ... -Boas.html</a><!-- m -->

Feds Move To Ban Pythons & Boas.

Ball Python - photo Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?© ronald durst
The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service has made a significant move towards banning the importation and interstate transport of Boa Constrictors and Pythons in the United States. Quietly published in the Federal Register, the agency is accepting public comments until April 30th. If enacted this will devastate an already hard hit industry, dealing a fatal death blow to a large number of businesses dependent on this segment of the industry and drying up the supply of these pets to pet owners across the United States. Noted herpetologist, author, former zookeeper, and one of the leading private researchers and breeders of pythons in the United States, David Barker, had this to say...

This is the formal notification and request for public comments regarding the intention of USF&W Service to place ALL snakes in the genera Boa, Python, and Eunectes on the Injurious Wildlife List of the Lacey Act.

If enacted as regulation, this will ban the importation of said snakes into the USA , and ban all interstate transportation of said snakes.

There is a request made for public input and we feel it will be very important that all keepers with an interest in boas and pythons make written response before 30 April.

This is VERY important. DonÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢t take this lightly.

Once the importation and inter-state transport has been banned, there will be a rapid exodus of breeders of these species, and eventually they will disappear from the marketplace along with a significant number of businesses and jobs. Pet owners will feel the pinch as dry goods suppliers and caging manufacturers stop producing products for that segment of the hobby, and eventually it will be impossible to obtain a new pet boa or python.

To review the USF & W Service proposal, please look at the following document. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://kingsnake.com/FWSReview.pdf">http://kingsnake.com/FWSReview.pdf</a><!-- m -->

Please note that this is a .pdf file and requires Adobe Acrobat to open and read it.

UPDATE:

On Friday, February 29, at 10 PM Eastern, in kingsnake.com's Chat Room, kingsnake.com will host a special chat on the proposed federal regulations detailed above. Invitations to participate as panelists have been submitted to the following individuals and organizations. As panelists are confirmed we will update this message and the guest list for Chat Week. More panelists may be added as required, and panelists that are unavailable will be removed from the list.

Invited Panelists:

PIJAC

Reptiles Magazine

David/Tracy Barker - Vida Preciosa Intl.

Kamuran Tepedelen - Bushmaster Reptiles

Kevin McCurley - N.E.R.D. ~ confirmed

Jeff Ronne - The Boaphile

Rich Ihle - Salmonboa.com

Ralph Davis - Ralph Davis Reptiles ~ confirmed

Jeff Barringer - kingsnake.com ~ confirmed

USF&W Service

Brian Sharp - Brian Sharp Reptiles

Bill Brandt - Gourmet Rodent

Wayne Hill - National Reptile Breeders Expo ~ confirmed

Eugene Bessette - Ophiological Services

Bob Clark - Bob Clark Reptiles ~ confirmed

Brian Potter - NARBC/Chicago Reptile House

As the Federal Register outlines, only comments submitted in the format that they have specified will be reviewed. Comments on message boards, BLOGs, and petitions will not be accepted or reviewed. We recommend that everyone focus their efforts on submitting comments using the required procedure rather than methods that will not produce tangible results. Individuals and businesses may submit their comments at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main?main=SubmitComment&o=09000064803a565f">http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/c ... 64803a565f</a><!-- m -->.

Please take time to review the proposal in full, and only submit comments relevant to the specific requests. General comments and abusive comments are liable to be discarded, unread. Please spell check your comments before submitting them.

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
WHAT!!!!! do we stand any chance of owning reptiles from that day forward?!?! why should the government ban these wonderful animals, i just don't get it

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
This is not joke time. This is a time when the people who enjoy our hobby ban together, we stand up, and fight for what we believe in. We are human beings with a passion for keeping our pets, happy, safe, and a fulfilling part of our lives. Today is the day. Larry and BT were really stressing last night, and this is a time where this single action will affect us for the rest of our lives. Truly this will be felt the states over. Listen people, do not attack this through anger, fight with tact, be suave, be educated. Understand that there are people out there with little integrity who have caused this to even be considerred. Show what kind of person you are. This is now, this is today.

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
there are obviously way too many irresponsible owners out there, and the federals are sick of paying money to shelters to care for unwanted exotic pets, it's all the escaped pets, and released pets that's causing problems in a land that they are not native to

nat

5 Year Member
This is almost as bad as BC's plan to ban exotic animals as pets outright.... good luck with fighting this one guys! I will do what I can on my end of North America to fight it with you. Kinda strange how so many exotic bylaws are popping up all at once across canada and the united states.

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
I wrote them a long one, that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, and a result of lazy state officials that know nothing about reptiles and consrictor snakes in general.

snakehandler

5 Year Member
KoreanDeathKid said:
there are obviously way too many irresponsible owners out there, and the federals are sick of paying money to shelters to care for unwanted exotic pets, it's all the escaped pets, and released pets that's causing problems in a land that they are not native to

This law wont solve that problem. The only way to solve it is to get people educted and responsable,

redtail2426

5 Year Member
Well even if they do ban them which hopefully they wont, it's not like you cant get your hands on things that are illegal. Just think of all the things that are considered illegal but still go on in our country today.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Federal and State Funded Reptile Rescues will eliminate this problem. All over people have nowhere to turn to. Independent Reptile Rescues (Bless them) are doing their best, but it's so easy to drop a dog off at the pound, but nearly impossible to get a big snake a new home. We as herpers are here to help, but no one even asks questions. Our government has failed us yet again. If I could work at a reptile rescue that was run like the spca, i'd quit my job in a heartbeat. Getting rescued reptiles new homes for small adoption fees? Perfection.

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
it's not just reptiles once you think about it, there are people out there dealing with other furry exotics, reptiles are just first in line

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
This is ridiculous... This would put ALOT of people out of business... This would also certainly ruin my future aswell as many others. This is a big and bad drastic step. It's too bad the majority of them probably don't know two $%!*s about snakes either. I personally think that there should be a certain test that people should take if they want to own/breed large constrictors that reach Over 10 feet. And if they pass that test then they get a permit for owning it. Come on people it's not that hard.

That link you offered didn't work but I'm not exactly sure what to do since I'm not from the US.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tegus could be next!! We need your help guys!!

RED ALERT: Last Chance Public Comment!

***Deadline Tuesday May 11, 2010*** for Public Comment on the US Fish & Wildlife Service proposed rule adding nine constrictor snakes to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act. It is imperative that as many people as possible make comment prior to the deadline. Failure to do so could result in wholesale destruction of the Reptile Nation!

It is highly suggested that your comments be original and written by you. There are guidelines at <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.Kill-RuleChange.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.Kill-RuleChange.com</a><!-- w -->. However, there seems to be confusion about Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?Å?How ToÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢ and Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?Å?Where ToÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢ make comment. The following is Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?Å?step by stepÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢ on how to make a fast and easy comment:

Go to the government portal: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/home.html#submitComment?R=0900006480abc25c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/home.ht ... 6480abc25c</a><!-- w -->
Fill in the fields for Name, Country, City and Postal Code. Ignore the rest of the fields.
Copy the Sample Letter below. Modify it with your own comments (HIGHLY SUGGESTED). Save it into a Word, Works, Note Pad or PDF file. Click the Browse button on the Attach File field and download your file. (you can not cut & paste more than 2000 characters into govt portal)
If you are a business copy Sample Letter onto company letterhead and save as a Word, Works, Note Pad or PDF file. Click the Browse button on the Attach File field and download your file. (if you are NOT a business skip step 4)
Click Submit button. Your Done! (If you are successful you will get a confirmation number)
SAMPLE LETTER: Cut & Paste Into Government Portal

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Division of Policy and Directives Management
Attn: Docket No. FWS-R9-FHC-2008-0015
4401 N. Fairfax Drive, Suite 222
Arlington, VA 22203

RE: Docket No. FWS-R9-FHC-2008-0015

Dear U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service,

As a supporter of the United States Association of Reptile Keepers (USARK) and someone who is concerned about the environment, I am writing today to OPPOSE the proposed rule to list nine species of large constrictor snakes as injurious (75 Fed. Reg. 11808-11829 (March 12, 2010)).

CONTROVERSIAL
As you know, in 2009 the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) released a highly controversial report on nine snake species. This internal report was NOT peer reviewed science. It is riddled with mistakes, inaccuracies, misrepresentations and unsupportable assumptions. The USARK has filed a 36 page Request for Correction with the USGS under the Information Quality Act. In a letter to the Senate Environmental & Public Works Committee a panel of 11 acclaimed scientists called the report Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?â??not scientificÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã? and Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?â??not suitable as the basis for legislative or regulatory policyÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?Â. This poorly done report is the only Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?â??scienceÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã? that supports the proposed rule.

UNPRECEDENTED
If enacted, this rule making would have the unprecedented effect of putting as many as a million American citizens in possession of Injurious Wildlife and subject to potential felony prosecution under the Lacey Act. It could effectively create a new class of criminal out of law abiding American citizens. Never has the USFWS attempted to list such a large group of animals that are widely held by the American public.

SIGNIFICANT ECONOMIC IMPACT
USFWS does not possess the information needed to do a credible Initial Regulatory Flexibility Analysis (IRFA) on proposed rules regarding constrictor snakes. In its report, dated February 10, 2010, USFWS relied on baseless assumptions and extrapolations and it ignored information submitted by industry participants and trade associations in response to its 2008 Notice of Inquiry. In addition, the Service misused the information it was provided by respondents to the notice. Therefore, the ServiceÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s regulatory flexibility analysis is not a complete, reliable, or convincing analysis of the impact of the proposed rule on small businesses involved in the buying and selling of the nine snake species included in the proposed rule. The IFRA grossly underestimates the scope of the impact of the proposed regulations.

ALTERNATIVES
USFWS has failed to explore suitable alternatives to Lacey Act listing. There is a plethora of ideas on how to address the issue of invasive species that are for more pragmatic and less damaging than the Lacey Act. It was the consensus opinion at the recent US House Committee on Natural Resources Hearing on Invasive Species that Lacey Act was an ineffectual tool for addressing this issue. State/Local Risk Assessment combined with industry Best Management Practices (BMP) was suggested by Dr. Frank Mazzotti of the University of Florida. (His is a unique perspective because he is the one responsible for the radio tracking of pythons in the Everglades National Park.) USARK has developed an Accreditation utilizing BMPÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s that have passed into state law in North Carolina and are currently pending in SC. They are also being considered by GA, LA, CA and VA. USFWS has an obligation to explore viable alternatives. To date they have not.

It is clear that the USFWS has not thoroughly considered the full implications this proposed rule making would have. Further it is clear that USFWS has not given the due diligence required to enact such a controversial, unprecedented and draconian measure. It is clear that if enacted the proposed rule would negatively impact as many as a million Americans. The limited effectiveness of the Lacey Act as a means to control invasive species means that if enacted the stated intent of the rulemaking would never be realized. Nothing would change on the ground in south Florida. The only effect would be to destroy the captive propagation and trade of animal's already in captivity all across the country.

Please stop the proposed rule to restrict the trade in nine species of constrictors.

Thank you for your consideration.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.kill-rulechange.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.kill-rulechange.com</a><!-- m --> & <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.usark.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.usark.org</a><!-- m --> for more info

preston897

this whole thing is insane! now that they found a tegu running loose they will try to get rid of them. then monitors. and after that all reptiles. these people know not what they are talking about. they just want somthing to do. i though the government had more important things to deal with then taking peoples pets away. there are thousands of dogs running wild on the streets. are they going to do anything about that? they get in my trash and tear it to pieces. they poop in my yard. and they eat some peoples livestock. but you find one snake and one tegu and all hell breaks loose.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i posted a nice long comment, and for those that think tegus and other large lizards arent next, look at the media now they are targeting tegus in florida. if we dont speak up no one will speak for us!

preston897

it makes no sense to me. this tegu and whatever snakes they have found were probably minding their own business. they didnt want to be around people. they just wanted to chill out in the woods. or in the swamps. and people freak out. but an aggressive dog on the streets is ok. i have to take a baseball bat when i go walking to protect myself and my girlfriend from crazy dogs running around because they try to attack. i dont think i will ever have to carry a baseball bat to protect myself from a snake and a tegu trying to attack me.

Marlene

5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.corn-utopia.com/Corn%20Utopia%20on%20the%20Web/-%20LURKING%20ENEMY%20Cornutopia%20corn%20snakes%20cornsnakes.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.corn-utopia.com/Corn%20Utopi ... snakes.htm</a><!-- m -->

Utahraptor

5 Year Member
that was a very interesting link, Marlene. I wonder if those numbers for the Humane society's gross income and spending on local shelters are accurate. What a shame that our local shelters can't even get good money from their supposed parent organization.

That quote from the Humane society's report on reptile keeping makes it pretty clear what their intentions are though. I don't know how you could take that out of context.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced