• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Feeding Question

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Hi

I only just got my tegu so Im trying to make sure she is happy. She seems to sleep a lot, a real lot. Should I wake her to feed her? She burrys herself in the mulch and I dont really want to dig her out, but she has to eat right? Isnt it to early for hybernation? I havent once seen her willingly come up from being burrowed, so Im a little worried.

BillieJeAn

mine was liek that for the first few weeks or so that i got him, i would just put food in his dish and leave the room, or leave it all night, and sometimes when i came back to look it had been eaten. then eventually he started coming out more and more. he stays out of his little borrow for long amounts of time now :)

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Ok I'll try that. I put out some turkey for her to eat, but she looked it over and didnt want it. It got all dry. I will try leaveing out a hard boiled egg.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
^^ good advice...

Avoid digging him out...

Put the food in the enclosure and let him smell it out... he surely won't starve himself when there is food available...

BillieJeAn

Aardbark said:
Ok I'll try that. I put out some turkey for her to eat, but she looked it over and didnt want it. It got all dry. I will try leaveing out a hard boiled egg.
i left out scrambled eggs and some cooked meat (because the raw meat dried up like you said) just until she starts coming out more then go ahead with the raw meat. worth a try, even if the cooked meat isnt as full of nuitrients as the raw, at least she will eat.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. I guess Im just a bit paranoid. I guess I just dont like it when I cant see her. In the back of my mind is the fear that if I dig her up, Im going to find her dead. I want to dig her up just to see if she is alive.

BillieJeAn

Aardbark said:
Thanks everyone. I guess Im just a bit paranoid. I guess I just dont like it when I cant see her. In the back of my mind is the fear that if I dig her up, Im going to find her dead. I want to dig her up just to see if she is alive.
i did the same thing! i was always scared he was dead when i wouldnt see him. and sometimes i would bother him just to see, i always felt really bad about it though because he seemed so stressed

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Yea exactly. I try to look really hard for signs of life, so I dont have to disturb her. I saw her tail pokeing out of the ground a little while ago, and now its gone so that must mean she is still alive, lol.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Yea, I learned today that I have to just leave her alone and let her do things at her pace. Even if that pace is really slow and makes ME stressed. lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam