• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

First meals?

Tucker

Hey y'all, Rodney Irwin of TegusOnly is about to sell me a 26" or so male. I was wondering if venison, avocado and mango chopped and mixed together with a calcium + D3 supplement would make a good staple diet for my little buddy' first week or so.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey y'all, Rodney Irwin of TegusOnly is about to sell me a 26" or so male. I was wondering if venison, avocado and mango chopped and mixed together with a calcium + D3 supplement would make a good staple diet for my little buddy' first week or so.
Forst week or so, yes. Thereafter, wle prey, like mice, must be the dominant prey item. Can add organ meat and high quality wet dog food, too. A little Cod liver oil is a good additive for shedding and constipation.

No D3 needed. Powdered calcium alone.

Zyn

I'd just throw him a thawed rat till he's adjusted but my little blue isn't even born yet lol so don't take my thoughts to much into consideration lol. I have a Dubia and small mouse colony started for when the little guy gets here at the end of the month

dpjm

5 Year Member
Not avocado. First, it is toxic to some animals and why take the risk that it might be toxic to tegus. Second, it is high in fat, which is not great for tegus. As for Vitamin D3, it is needed if you don't have UV lights, but if you do have those, skip the D3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supportibi