• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Future Owner Questions

Yutahji

Having been researching tegus for the better part of a year now, I have officially decided it's about time to own one. But I have a lot of questions, and I would love to hear from the community.

First of all, I am a little undecided on the tegu itself. I have been favoring Blues for a while because of the high-white, and slightly smaller size, however I have read a lot of mixed reviews on purchasing them and the overall hardiness of the animal. Is it true that Blue tegus began with inbreeding, similar to the Spider morph in BPs? And are the health risks associated with them true, or speculation? I have read that Blues are prone to blindness, "shakes", neurological deficiencies and can be burned by UVB because of their white skin.

On the purchase itself, I am wary of buying from anyone really. I have read experiences from breeders (I won't give names) where the customer purchased an expensive Blue, but when the tegu reached maturity it was not the promised animal. I would hate to purchase a tegu at the "Blue" price, only to receive a B&W coloration. Which leads me to ask, are all Blues guaranteed high-white, if they really are Blues?

And those of you who have your tegus already, would you recommend purchasing a tegu that you can handle and see for yourself, or would it be just as safe to buy online? I am very skeptical at this point of being ripped off. The two breeders I was considering purchasing from were Underground Reptiles and Ty Park, but with Underground, I am cautious because of their lack of DoA coverage, among other things. But moving on...

When I eventually have this hypothetical lizard, I plan on purchasing them as a hatchling, and housing them in a 40 gallon breeder tank. I understand the argument that bigger is better, however due to past experiences with voracious crickets, I would prefer to have my animal in a smaller tank when it is young as to have better observation of the environment. In addition, once tamed down, I will let my tegu roam my apartment while I am home, and once large enough, will take them outside for further enrichment. At what point should I migrate my tegu into their permanent enclosure, in relation to the size of said tegu? The permanent enclosure will be custom built, 6.5 x 2.5 x 3. Possibly larger.

This is already a very large post, so I will save some of my other questions until later. Thank you for your time.

N8bub

No guarantee on how hiwhite a blue will be, but typically higher than std bnw. I don't know for sure but iwas under the impression that most American blues came from a small initial shipment that were mislabeled as colombian. So yes inbred. I don't think that uvb is a problem unless you are talking about albinos not hiwhite. Never bought from underground or ty but I've been considering one from ty. I bought my blue/bnw cross from Hectorshabitat.com, really pleased super hiwhite, great demeanor so iam biased. If you do buy online just pick a reputable breeder. Hopetthat helps.

Yutahji

Thanks for the tip. Still can't decide on which kind I want. Love the prehistoric look of the b&w but love the intensity of the blues. Ugh.

Im currently a little biased for a female tegu, and I was wondering if there are any breeders who will guarantee the sex of your tegu? I have an all male collection right now, needs some feminine charm, and I prefer the sleaker look of the females.

N8bub

Im going to buy a bnw female myself this summer, get boudreaux a girlfriend. Picking bnw because they tend to be bigger than blues and a little less skittish. I understand your dilemma about picking between blue and bnw, its why I picked a cross! Mostof the bigger name tegu dealers probably can get you in a female, it won't bea guarantee, but they know enough to make a choice you would be safe betting on.

Rebecca Stout

Black and whites and high whites (B&Ws) are a bit larger than Blues if that helps. Some say there is also a very slight difference in personality. Some say the blues are a bit more active and independent where as the black and whites are a tad more laid back. Perhaps "cuddlier". Some will argue that some wont. Someone like Ty Parks, TeguTerra ... will be able to determine sex. Although if you want a "hatchling" there is no guarantee I guess. If you like how striking a blue looks, a very high white can be just as striking minus the cool burnt nose. But if you are buying "blind" without a photo of what you are getting, photos of the parents, or handling what you are getting ... then you could be rolling the dice there in seeing how it would turn out.

Yutahji

But if you are buying "blind" without a photo of what you are getting, photos of the parents, or handling what you are getting ... then you could be rolling the dice there in seeing how it would turn out.

Yeah, I would certainly prefer to handle and see the baby myself before purchasing, but I live in Colorado, and there are only 2 reptile expos that visit. Tegus don't seem to be a specialty out here, as I've only seen a few in lacking health. Plus I would feel more comfortable being able to purchase from a certified breeder, and getting to see the parents.

On another note, I'm beginning to setup the starter enclosure and some input would be appreciated. (See attached.) It's a 40 gal breeder with some placeholder furniture for now. I will be getting more hides, and a large water bowl, but the branches and plants seem perfect. The largest branch will be positioned right under the light so she can get right underneath it if she chooses. I've been advised to get a 150watt + 10.0 uvb strip. Will the 150watt be hot enough to warm the whole tank? And should I get a weaker bulb to leave on at night? I live in Colorado and sometimes the night temperatures get ridiculously low, so I want to be safe. For regulating, I usually go with the probe method, with a hydro/therm combo right above the substrate on the wall. Would that work for the hatchlings' stay in this tank? I know it's more complex in the custom enclosure, hah. What has proven to be the best substrate in your experience? I love coco husk, but I was thinking of mixing it with pure cypress to give it a bit more weight, and less dust.

Attachments

• 20150511_205552.png
    20150511_205552.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 23

Yutahji

Im going to buy a bnw female myself this summer, get boudreaux a girlfriend. Picking bnw because they tend to be bigger than blues and a little less skittish. I understand your dilemma about picking between blue and bnw, its why I picked a cross! Mostof the bigger name tegu dealers probably can get you in a female, it won't bea guarantee, but they know enough to make a choice you would be safe betting on.

A cross seems like it would be perfect for me. Could you post some pictures of your little guy? I would love to see how the colors came out. Already reached out to Hector and he seems like he would be very pleasant to work with.

N8bub

My gu's name is Boudreaux, or just boo boo. I've got his thread in the tegu cross breed section under the header of here comes scaly boo boo. Lots of pics. His daddy is hectors f1 male Omega.

TeguKeeper15

your setup looks great i am still researching about tegus i am going start out with a 40 gallon or a 55 gallon tank you could get a larger water bowl for your tegu i am going get a large corner bowl from zoo med for mine and for your night time temps you could get a ceramic heat emitter and have it on at night to bring the temps up in the tank and have like a 10inch dome so the heat spreads out i think in a smaller dome the heat would just emit in one small area just a idea and for testing the heat i think a infrared thermometer would be better to take the temps than a probe thermometer and for the substrate cypress mulch is the best or you could use repti bark from zoomed if you get cypress much from home depot just make sure its not blended and when you get it put in the freezer for a while to kill any bugs or anything that was in it at the time you got it :)

Last edited:
aquariums arent reccommended if you get get your hands on a 4x2 wood or vision cage that would be ideal for hummidity and heat and privacy reasons, or go right to the final enclosure. which is a little small i would go at least 7x2.3/3x3 but an 8x4 is still really the best option. they demand a lot of territory and need lots of room to explore

Yutahji

plus aquariums are heavy and expensive and just inconvenient

The aquarium setup won't be permanent, I have a ball python who will grow into it but I figured it would be okay to use it instead of having it lay around. I am still figuring out the dimensions of the final enclosure, as I live in an apartment currently, and when I move I want the enclosure to move with me lol. But certainly bigger is better, but figuring out how to make an enclosure that can be broken down is taking some time.

aquariums arent good with ball pythons either and most snakes dont like big cages. tegus need privacy and high humidity and aquariums are still probably one of the worst option as an enclosure for any extended amount of time. orjust skip the aquarium and set up and build the adult cage right away

Yutahji

Let me clarify that it isn't an aquarium, it is a terrarium. I insulate the sides and cover them up with those "natural" decal stickers so you can only see the animal from the front. I also cover the tops of my terrariums to maintain humidity and keep the ambient temperatures comfortable. I've never had any problems with my ball pythons in this setup; they've never gone off food, and get annual vet visits. But this is a tegu forum, anyway.

I cannot build the full size enclosure at this time because it literally will not fit into my apartment. I had to get rid of my couch because it did not fit. The doors are far too narrow. It will have to wait, which is why I am offering up my current enclosure for advice which will make the animal most comfortable until then.

Rebecca Stout

The thing is this will be a hatchling, or close to it. And I was always told not to put them in a giant enclosure at first... hope someone chimes in. Seems to me an extra big aquarium/terrarium might be okay, but not a 40 gallon. Thats too small. Even a 55 if you find a flattened one for reptiles is pushing it.

Do know they they grow obnoxiously fast. I mean I've never seen anything like it. So, it's way too costly to get them very small enclosure set ups at first. I think people usually get something like what the fella said above or a little smaller. Then when they grow the bigger one.
I remember when I got my girl, I got this 40 gallon snake enclosure until I could build my big permanent one, which I thought would be a matter of a few weeks. Well, the cost that I projected to the cage was way lower than it was actually turning out to be. So I had to get stuff little by little. Meanwhile she grew, not so little by little. Next thing I knew the poor thing was living in a closet sized bathroom for weeks while I built her perm enclosure. Our bathroom had humidifiers, lamps, etc, She was fine the way we did it just for a bit, but man, I dont know how my bathroom survived all that humidity and heat. Anyway, what a royal pain in the butt.

Yutahji

I'd heard the same, but also opposing views on it. I spoke with my vet about it during an appointment yesterday, who studied in the everglades for 10 years. He told me a 40 gallon would be acceptable for a baby, but that I needed to have the resources available in case of a growth spurt, which I do. He also mentioned that the biggest problem he sees with tegus is people power feeding them, to get them to their full size sooner, and they become overweight. Also, in his experience, owners don't let their tegus hibernate which would otherwise slow down their growth as in nature.

Now, I have the means, equipment and room necessary to build an enclosure, but my partner and I are still drafting a "segmented" cage so that it can be broken down and reassembled. Who knows, we could have it figured out before July, which is when I plan on buying. I dont plan on cramping the thing into a tiny enclosure for the duration of its stay with me, but it does need to be held in something in case the final enclosure isn't ready in time.

Yutahji

By the way your GIFF is KILLER. What is it, or where did you get it?
I found it on the primal carnage forums, don't know who the artist is otherwise I'd credit them. The game is dinos vs humans, so it's just a silly animation as such.

As far as the tank goes, we've drafted up what might work; two 3.5 x 3 x 3 cubes connected via pressurized window locks. Fir support frame with hardwood ply sheets on the outside, still deciding whether we want sheets on the inside to make it flush. Have the acrylic for the front, two swing open-out glass doors on hinges, framed with some 1/4 in ply for extra sealing.

Still figuring out the electrical, but looking at 160watt MVB for the basking, 160watt heat panel for ambient and an extra uvb somewhere in there. 10.0 output but not sure how big yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced