• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Greetings from NJ

pbMeehan

Hello! I joined yesterday and just wanted to start by saying thank you to all contributors on this site, I have learned so much more from here than all other sites put together! I do not yet own a Tegu but am currently in the process of gathering the necessary equipment (tank, lights, etc.) before purchasing a little B&W guy later this summer. I was going to start it off in a 75 gallon 48"x19"x22"high tank, any thoughts or concerns? From my research this seems suitable for a juvenile for at least a year or two.

P.S. I have owned reptiles in the past, never one that will get as big as a tegu though

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome, PB. A hatchling or near one, will make it in a 75 gal. but only for a very short time. Not just because of fast growth to 3+ foot in one year, but also because even in a 75 gal, hard to maintain thermal gradient from 110-115F bask, 80s F ambient, mid-upper 70F hide on other side.

As a suggestion, I very much encourage you to consider an 8X4X3'. It will be indispensable in a few months so why not save money and build one now as a forever home. Lots of threads on successful enclosures.

pbMeehan

That is a great point, plus we are throwing away an antique armoire that with a little bit of work could be turned into a beautiful enclosure. Thanks Walter

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980