• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Halogen Floodlights

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.proexotics.com/store/product.php?productid=16242&cat=249&page=1">http://www.proexotics.com/store/product ... 249&page=1</a><!-- m -->

50 watt halogen floodlights are the best heating i have found for my herps. They are much cheaper than pet store bulbs, and IME they work much better too.

They cannot be the ones with the clear center, those will burn your reptile. If you have access to them, I suggest giving them a try. :)

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mvskokee said:
man they are the same price as i buy my basking bulbs do they put out uva.

No, they don't. They are just for heating. Proexotics sells them at that price to make a profit. The link was just to show how they look.

They are expensive if you order from them, or have them shipped. Check around walmart or home depot, i have been able to find them as low as 6 dollars.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I use a 100 watt flood for my tegu's, works great! i dont think i would use anything else for them.

jacobsracing

5 Year Member
I am using a 160W outdoor halogen flood for heat and a reptileUV 60w externally balanced bulb for UV. The enclosure also has a 4ft full spectrum so that WE can see our tegu a bit better.

:)

he is growing like a weed. The lighting must be spot on. pardon the pun.

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
Oddball said:
I've heard that the one bad thing about halogens is that they can explode...literally

I've had a few where the glass separates from the base, but never shatters. You should enclosure your light bulbs. ;)

Oddball

5 Year Member
if i had the proper "casing" around a halogen i would use one because i have spare unopened halogen lights around the house, i remember when i went to my older sisters new dorm at uc santa cruz they had a halogen light for their living room light and i laughed and said "no wonder why its so warm in here!"

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oddball said:
I've heard that the one bad thing about halogens is that they can explode...literally
We've been using halogens for almost 2 years and have never had one explode. I'd guess if you threw water at it, it might explode.

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
yea, only time my halogens ever exploded was when my turtle splashed his 75 watt. and yea, it did POP, but there was no real risk. not like there was high velocity shrapnel or anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam