• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Harnesses for small tegus (niles is 18")

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I just bought a nice harness for niles that seems to be perfect. It is a "super pet- comfort harness." It is made for rats and ferrets. It is a size "small " and fits niles on the smallest setting. He is 18" so you can estimate for yours. It states : neck 5-7 in and waist 7-9 inches. It comes with a stretchy leash and it has both velcro and seatbelt type clasps. It was $9.99...so pretty good deal I think. :)
uploadfromtaptalk1366325490065.jpg

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Yes I like it because it is softer and not like irritating cords etc. The little vest is nice and secure without being uncomfortable I think. It's a little tough getting it on and buckled but doesn't seem to bother him once on. And it will make me feel safer in case he 'bolts ' again. I don't want him to hurt himself if he gets spooked.

Jstew

I just went with a more generic ferret harness. I couldn't get a repta leash that fit to saves life but these rodents harness fit like a glove! Now if I could only get her to cooperate once the harness is on

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I got mine at "little critters," a local pet store. But most popular stores probably have it and I first found it online through google. The description I listed above :)

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Ok so today I tried to put niles' harness on and he freaked out. Backing out of it, scratched my hands up pretty good and doing the 'alligator roll '... sheesh. Needless to say, no walking today. I just sat petting him awhile hoping he'd forgive me. Ugh. I really wanted him to be ok with it because warm weather is coming and I was looking forward to being 'out and about ' with him without the worry of a sudden leap or scamper and him getting hurt or lost :(

I cannot get our tegu to go on that one. she squirms and fights with me, abd if i get lucky and get her into it she slithers like i snake until she gets out of it. she seems to have a real attitude. any suggestions? she is our first tegu and i seem to have quite alot of problems with her lately.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I'm going to, at some point, get one like Laura had suggested. It has just a simple cord/strap around neck area and around middle area. People on here do seem to have more success with this type of harness than with the vest one that i got. I guess less is more. They probably don't feel so restricted, therefore don't put up such a struggle. ;)

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Yes.cat or ferret ones. I guess they are adjustable. Niles thrashes around with the vest kind and backs out of it like I'm killing him. Haha. So I'm going to try the others. I think I'll put it on him in the house free roaming first to get used to it...then gradually try the leash.

paperblankets

Yes.cat or ferret ones. I guess they are adjustable. Niles thrashes around with the vest kind and backs out of it like I'm killing him. Haha. So I'm going to try the others. I think I'll put it on him in the house free roaming first to get used to it...then gradually try the leash.

I have the same experience. I have tried tegu leashes as well as ferret leashes on Roger.
He either slides out of them, or claws at them until the velcro sticks to the ground and then crawls out.

marydd

Best leash I have found. It's an iguana leash I purchased from a petco if I remember correctly.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390784752637.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390784752637.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 138

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam