• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello everyone

new2tegus

I saw one of these and just had to track down what kind of lizard it was, and found out it was a tegu, and started reading about them. I've kept many different types from small to large, only one in the monitor family. I had a Savannah that grew over 3ft, after which point at that time I couldn't house him anymore. Luckily a good friend of mine could and gave him a good home. I do have a few questions because I'm interested in getting one, they look like a fun monitor and seem to have a colorful personality. First, what sort of size enclosure would I need for a blue or a red. Also temperament seems to be an issue with most of them, and being new this lizard which would you recommend. I do have experience with large monitors and mine loved to bite me,but I think after he realized I didn't care, I think he lost interest and became quite fun to hold. I had a large iguana too, but he'd only whip me when I was late getting his food in his cage. Also food requirements and things to look out for care wise. I'm sure there is a wealth of information to tap into here,and I'm looking for advice.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Where did you see one? They are not monitors by the way. As far as cage requirements, they will need something in the 8x4x4 range. If you cant house an adult Sav, you won't be able to house an adult tegu. For diet they eat both meat and fruits/vegetables.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
^Good Advice James

My 3 year old Arg Tegu is 50" long and weighs 12 lbs. He spends his summers on a 12' x 6' deck/balcony and his winters in an 8' x 3' enclosure. I am thoroughly convinced keeping him in larger environments is one of the key elements to him being so docile.

We very consistently see Arg Tegus kept in smaller enclsoure showing Aggression to their owners. And trust me, you will care if an adult bites you ;)

I would agree 8' x 4' is bare minimum for an adult and going larger surely has benefits.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
james.w said:
Where did you see one? They are not monitors by the way. As far as cage requirements, they will need something in the 8x4x4 range. If you cant house an adult Sav, you won't be able to house an adult tegu. For diet they eat both meat and fruits/vegetables.

My thoughts exactly,.. but here are a few threads to start with.

Care sheet
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=7712

Food List
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=6452

Make sure to read the Important Threads at the top of most forum sections,.. which will answer a lot of questions.

When there's something you don't understand,.. feel free to ask.

new2tegus

Heya guys, thanks for all the info, I've been busy reading up on them, and after seeing some of them in action, not that I had any doubts seeing there size, I'm sure it would hurt to get tagged by one. No, at the time I couldn't house one, now my living situation has changed quite a bit, and I would be able to give him the room he needs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602