• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello from Buenos Aires

Urte

Hi everyone, I'm just getting started on Tegus, and I hope your advices can point me in the right directions towards a healthy Tegu keeping.
Sorry for my use of english :p

A brief introduction on the Tegu status in this country:
I find it super comforting to read you guys post about your Argentine Tegus, well, I'm from Argentina and the situation is quite bizarre here. The laws are not quite updated, and they date to the 1850's where at that time Tegus were quite abundant all over the country, so the law stated that they could be hunted for meat and leather. In 1993 the law was a bit updated and they started to regulate the amount of Tegus they could hunt per year and today the quota is of 65.000 skins per year for export. Also the law states that Tegus can't be commecialized as pets, only for meat and leather, something that makes me sick only by the thought of it.

I believe thats enough bad news for the moment.
The good thing is that if you play it quiet you can have as many Tegus as you like if you don't tell the wrong person about it.

My situation is that a friend of mine has a Red pair and this year he could breed them, and he saved 6 babies for me. My goal is not to comecialize them, just to have a captive bred small population in case things in the wild go bad for them or somebody in the Senate awakens and modifies the law.
IMG_3111.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Those are the little fellas, here is well advanced autumn, but they have no intention in hibernation...

I'll look foreward to your comments and advice.
Regards
Urte

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I'm just getting started on Tegus, and I hope your advices can point me in the right directions towards a healthy Tegu keeping.
Sorry for my use of english :p

A brief introduction on the Tegu status in this country:
I find it super comforting to read you guys post about your Argentine Tegus, well, I'm from Argentina and the situation is quite bizarre here. The laws are not quite updated, and they date to the 1850's where at that time Tegus were quite abundant all over the country, so the law stated that they could be hunted for meat and leather. In 1993 the law was a bit updated and they started to regulate the amount of Tegus they could hunt per year and today the quota is of 65.000 skins per year for export. Also the law states that Tegus can't be commecialized as pets, only for meat and leather, something that makes me sick only by the thought of it.

I believe thats enough bad news for the moment.
The good thing is that if you play it quiet you can have as many Tegus as you like if you don't tell the wrong person about it.

My situation is that a friend of mine has a Red pair and this year he could breed them, and he saved 6 babies for me. My goal is not to comecialize them, just to have a captive bred small population in case things in the wild go bad for them or somebody in the Senate awakens and modifies the law.
IMG_3111.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Those are the little fellas, here is well advanced autumn, but they have no intention in hibernation...

I'll look foreward to your comments and advice.
Regards
Urte
Welcome Urte, and English good enough.

Too bad keeping them is banned. Tegu farms would be good for the ecology and economy. Anyway, interested to see your new ones grow.

Urte

Walter,
Yes, its really bad, there are 2 farms that are legally enabled to breed and own Tegus but they can only sell the meat and their leathers, no live animals.
Yeah me too really anxious about the little ones on how they will grow up.
I'll try to keep their news updated as much as possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam