• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello

Donnie25

hi everyone, new here, and to tegus. Currently i only own a panther chameleon and 2 cats. Tegus have fascinated me for awhile though and i would really like to learn more about them. So i'm here to research and see if a tegu is right for me. My main concern atm is space, but i should be buying a house in the near future. I know the importance of research, but from what i take in so far the 3 main points are *space, *feeding, and *socialization? I'm a newb with these so feel free to let me know of any other major things to consider. I've wanted to own an intelligent reptile that i can spend time and work with, that'll enjoy human interaction. everyone loves and recommends beardies which i've also considered, but something about the tegus is just more appealing. I figure if i'm going to get a larger reptile, i might as well go all the way. I'm definitely not rushing into anything so feel free to share your thoughts on owning these guys.

Thanks

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
hi everyone, new here, and to tegus. Currently i only own a panther chameleon and 2 cats. Tegus have fascinated me for awhile though and i would really like to learn more about them. So i'm here to research and see if a tegu is right for me. My main concern atm is space, but i should be buying a house in the near future. I know the importance of research, but from what i take in so far the 3 main points are *space, *feeding, and *socialization? I'm a newb with these so feel free to let me know of any other major things to consider. I've wanted to own an intelligent reptile that i can spend time and work with, that'll enjoy human interaction. everyone loves and recommends beardies which i've also considered, but something about the tegus is just more appealing. I figure if i'm going to get a larger reptile, i might as well go all the way. I'm definitely not rushing into anything so feel free to share your thoughts on owning these guys.

Thanks
Good questions and you picked a good site.

Argentines and Reds can fit the bill on size, curiosity, and friendliness. On the last point, some are "friendlier" than others, and even friendly ones need time alone. They remind me of a mix of dog and cat - friendly and aloof. One of mine checks me out and moves on. Another genuinely likes human contact. The third is a weird mix.

Donnie25

Hey thanks for replying! I'm not the type that is going to insist on a constantly friendly animal. I more so like the idea of having an animal that can learn and demands a level of respect. I like how (from what i've seen) tegus are intelligent enough to form a sort of bond? and recognize people. I don't expect it to be a dog or cat, but it is awesome to me that you can earn their trust.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey thanks for replying! I'm not the type that is going to insist on a constantly friendly animal. I more so like the idea of having an animal that can learn and demands a level of respect. I like how (from what i've seen) tegus are intelligent enough to form a sort of bond? and recognize people. I don't expect it to be a dog or cat, but it is awesome to me that you can earn their trust.
You're welcome. Good approach.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonny