• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

HI I'm new and would like some confirmation

Rowanbooy

hello everybody,

I'm not completely new to tegus but haven't had one either and I have researched a lot but there are some things i don't exactly know I absolutely love the animals and would like some help with that so they can love me,

I'm going to get a tegu in a couple of weeks and I'm not convinced that I know everything so he will be happy with me and I with him,

This is what i am going to do with my tegu:

I'm going to get him as a hatchling or a 1 month year old and will get a 80gallon terrarium for his baby size until he is big enough to get out and let him free roam in my room, and I want to feed him from my hand and take him with me on vacations and I know what to do to make him that tame but here are my questions,

I know what to feed the baby's but I don't know when and how much to feed him so I'm scared that I will overfeed or underfeed him, same question about when he is juvenile or adult

How long can i take him with on vacation?
I go every year 2 weeks to Spain in the summer can I take him so long with me with or without uvb lamp but with a basking spot and a wet towel and sprayer to hold him wet

I want him not to hibernate but i need some more info about baby size when he tries to hibernate, can I wake him up and can I still feed him or will he refuse the food and try to hibernate, if I let the uvb lamp on will he hibernate then? So a little more tips about would be helpful

Are outside walks good for him like in the garden with cold or hot weather to let him walk around with or without leash so I can later take him out with me to a friend to go to the park or something

I have so much more but I can't remember them precisely so this is it for now but feel free to add some more info or tips.

Greatly appreciated

- Rowan

Zyn

I think you have this picture in your head that tegus are dog lizards. Jokes aside I'll answer what I can. Not extreamly experienced myself my baby blue is only a month old.

The BW and to a lesser extent blues need to hybernate its part of their life cycle.

I wouldn't take my tegu on two week vacations to many variable for disaster. It sounds way to stressful to the Tegu again they aren't dogs. They enjoy routine, and a habitat that it constant and climant controlled. Unless of course you're in Florida lol

Free roaming is cool, Macguyver the red tegu makes it look easy. But not every tegu will be happy like that and depending on your living situation may not even be safe for the tegu. Even Mac has his moments, I don't think he gets enough heat and far to much fruits because his weight is a major problem. Not long ago, his needs weren't being met, he was having issues with digestion and ended up hurting his tail and losing part of it.

Just a few things to think about

Rowanbooy

I think you have this picture in your head that tegus are dog lizards. Jokes aside I'll answer what I can. Not extreamly experienced myself my baby blue is only a month old.

The BW and to a lesser extent blues need to hybernate its part of their life cycle.

I wouldn't take my tegu on two week vacations to many variable for disaster. It sounds way to stressful to the Tegu again they aren't dogs. They enjoy routine, and a habitat that it constant and climant controlled. Unless of course you're in Florida lol

Free roaming is cool, Macguyver the red tegu makes it look easy. But not every tegu will be happy like that and depending on your living situation may not even be safe for the tegu. Even Mac has his moments, I don't think he gets enough heat and far to much fruits because his weight is a major problem. Not long ago, his needs weren't being met, he was having issues with digestion and ended up hurting his tail and losing part of it.

Just a few things to think about

Rowanbooy

Thanks for you're answer and info it is sure helpful, yeah I saw it from mac, I can research some more and change a bit of my plans thanks,

Good luck with you're tegu

-Rowan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi