• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Highly recommend tegusonly

So I have had my male Argentine B/W tegu for a few weeks and he is doing great!very active and feeding well, healthy and for a wild caught animal fairly docile. I love what Rodney does and I love his tegus. Every tegu i have seen from him has been healthy and a great pet! obviously mine hasn't warmed up to me but that's normal. I highly recommend him for any size tegu you are looking for. ;)

Attachments

• 20150311_144249.jpg
    20150311_144249.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 303

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What a handsome boy you got. Rodney is a good guy doing a kindness for Florida first and foremost, and for the ABWT.

Rodney and his company Tegusonly is AWESOME. I work with him and FWC personally to assist in invasive tegu removal, and have worked with hundreds of the animals that end up in his care through my own research. NICE, reliable, honest, and wonderful to work with...anyone who wants a tegu from a great source and wants to help environmental conservation efforts at the same time should look NO where else! :)
I also have a beautiful female with fire belly markings from him that was gift for all of my help improving his operations, she came very healthy and is even calmer then my other 3 captive breds!

Rebecca Stout

I have a gu that I suspect the "breeder" sold to me as one of Rodney's stock rather than his own. His own were high whites and all in perfect physical condition She was a little "beat up" so to speak (burn on the top of the head and a few scratches), but very healthy, and wow what a sweet temperament! My only complaint is she is extremely flighty and she hides in any crack she can find. So I can't have her out to exercise free roam unless its in a closed off hall. bummer. Plus I wanted to be able to bring her outside. Its been a year, she is two now, and its no better. But at least she cuddles and loves me!

Last edited:

Rebecca Stout

We live our lives around this girl. The holding thing and spending time with her is frequent and every day sessions. She's still improving in as far as sitting/laying with us although she's pretty darn good with it. As far as not feeding live, I don't ever. She is sooooooooo sweet, get this, I can even open her mouth and fool around to check. She has never once whipped me, or opened her mouth to threaten me even though she was terrified of something she saw out a window ones and freaked out. She's amazing. From day one she was that reliable. Eating? I can hand feed her if I wanted. She is the most non food motivated animal I know of. If I could just lick the whole wanting to hide in cracks every second she can get. Even when you hold her, you have to put some sort of pressure on her or she will feel uncomfortable and wont sit with you. I've just GOT to get her so she can walk around some in the home. I'm ready to deal with the disappointment of not being able to take her outside to sit in the grass or do other wise (well sort of). But only being able to keep her in her house or in my arms is only half my dream with her.

Rebecca Stout

See her on as my icon there? Her whole underside is bright red. The guy I brought her from (Bay Area Reptiles) had dozens of gu's at a Repticon. Every one of them the same size and immaculate health. The were high whites. And some were snow white with very little black. So... I'm really not doubting he bred them or at least is a middle guy from someone that does mass breed. Then there was mine. Cream and black with a red underside. The same exact size/age though. He claimed he bred her along with the rest. My son and husband wanted her because she was so different. I had always wanted a high white. But I buckled because they wanted something different. The top of her head had a heat burn. Her front nose was either part of the burn or also from rubbing. Big scaring now. She had a few little nicks on her body but minute ones. Would you happen to know anything about the guy I bought from, TeguResearcher? I've scoured the net for two years now to find out peoples opinions or if they've been to his place and can't find any even though he goes to Repticons and has a shop. I just want to know.

I got her last year to the day as what he said was a yearling. The first photo is from about six months ago. The second was last summer. They are two rare shots in that you really have to hold/squeeze her for her to enjoy being with you.

2014-11-20 10.25.34.jpg
2014-06-10 21.01.11.jpg

Cccp94

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I see that Tegusonly sells captured tegus, and I just want to gauge your opinions on the fact that several sources I've read online state that wild caught ones are less docile, and harder to train. Is there any truth to this? Am I just as well off buying from Tegusonly as I would be buying from a captive breeder?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes One's regular, another's firebelly, third's high white. All were young adults when I got them and healthy on arrival. One was immediately friendly. The other two took a few weeks but started as huffy and standoffish at first.

Cccp94,

YES Rodney is amazing. Please keep in mind ALL tegus, and MOST reptiles/herps, are WILD animals. 20 years does not a domesticated animal make! Rodney is catching wild invasive tegus that are from a population of captive breds/imports that escaped/were purposely released from a breeding facility in 2012 (FWS and myself believe). Saying that, Rodney does: deworm them, feed them, provides plenty of room for an active life, and ships them safely to you. He is a GREAT guy and I have worked with him for over two years through my research on the invasive population in Homestead (there is a smaller one in Tampa). I own 5 tegus, and one is a gorgeous and tame female from Rodney.

With any herp (reptile or amphibian) their personality is 1st based on the species, 2nd on the individual, and 3rd on how much time you put into handling/feeding/soaking on a schedule. They will vary , regardless of the norm. Saying that, most tegus are friendly, smart, and highly tameable! Move slow (physically around them), build trust, FOLLOW good advice on housing, heating, soaking, feeding, etc. and you will do fine! It is much better to buy from Rodney as these animals face death without his work, and your purchase funds his conservation efforts in the Everglades! Same issue as pure bred dog versus a rescue. But, if you really want a captive bred I won't judge (I have a few of both!), I highly suggest useing Hectorshabitat.com. I know Hector and his wife personally, and also work with his animals for my research. Great guy, following strict breeding ethics, and has a science degree to back what he does!!!!

At all costs, please avoid Underground Reptiles. The owner is Rian is a con-artist who spent 5 years in prison for smuggling endangered turtles, his breeding and importing ethics are still VERY low...despite his videos online preaching he cares for his animals. I have known him and those around him for 10 years, trust me and don't buy there!

Cheers, let me know if you (or anyone else on here) wants a free tegu caresheet my vet and I developed! :)

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Cccp94,

YES Rodney is amazing. Please keep in mind ALL tegus, and MOST reptiles/herps, are WILD animals. 20 years does not a domesticated animal make! Rodney is catching wild invasive tegus that are from a population of captive breds/imports that escaped/were purposely released from a breeding facility in 2012 (FWS and myself believe). Saying that, Rodney does: deworm them, feed them, provides plenty of room for an active life, and ships them safely to you. He is a GREAT guy and I have worked with him for over two years through my research on the invasive population in Homestead (there is a smaller one in Tampa). I own 5 tegus, and one is a gorgeous and tame female from Rodney.

With any herp (reptile or amphibian) their personality is 1st based on the species, 2nd on the individual, and 3rd on how much time you put into handling/feeding/soaking on a schedule. They will vary , regardless of the norm. Saying that, most tegus are friendly, smart, and highly tameable! Move slow (physically around them), build trust, FOLLOW good advice on housing, heating, soaking, feeding, etc. and you will do fine! It is much better to buy from Rodney as these animals face death without his work, and your purchase funds his conservation efforts in the Everglades! Same issue as pure bred dog versus a rescue. But, if you really want a captive bred I won't judge (I have a few of both!), I highly suggest useing Hectorshabitat.com. I know Hector and his wife personally, and also work with his animals for my research. Great guy, following strict breeding ethics, and has a science degree to back what he does!!!!

At all costs, please avoid Underground Reptiles. The owner is Rian is a con-artist who spent 5 years in prison for smuggling endangered turtles, his breeding and importing ethics are still VERY low...despite his videos online preaching he cares for his animals. I have known him and those around him for 10 years, trust me and don't buy there!

Cheers, let me know if you (or anyone else on here) wants a free tegu caresheet my vet and I developed! :)
Very well put!!!!

Cccp94

Cccp94,

Thanks a lot for this. I would love a care sheet. Do you have any impression of teguterra? I am currently leaning towards Tegusonly, based on what people have said here, but want to explore all options first.

UggLeeDog

5 Year Member
5 years! She knows me? I don't care for my animals? Holy crap I'm a real bad guy who knew? Man people are jacked up! All that is a flat out lie and I have no idea why, however I do have an idea why...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced