• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How can I tell my Tegus weight is healthy?

Bernaard

Hi, I've had my little guy for about 3½ months now, so I'm still pretty new to this.

I believe he's getting ready for hibernation at the moment, he's been a bit funny about food for the last 2 months and the last week he's spent buried for the most part, it's been an autumn sort of August in the UK and he's right next to a window.

Anyway, I'm just not sure about his weight, can anyone chime in? I want to be sure he'll be ok over hibernation.
He's 17" nose to tail, and weighs 1.20kgs. I've attached a picture.

If this is a silly question I'm sorry, I'm a serial worrywort when it comes to pets.
IMG_20170901_133203_089.jpg

FluffyGoo

Hi, I've had my little guy for about 3½ months now, so I'm still pretty new to this.

I believe he's getting ready for hibernation at the moment, he's been a bit funny about food for the last 2 months and the last week he's spent buried for the most part, it's been an autumn sort of August in the UK and he's right next to a window.

Anyway, I'm just not sure about his weight, can anyone chime in? I want to be sure he'll be ok over hibernation.
He's 17" nose to tail, and weighs 1.20kgs. I've attached a picture.

If this is a silly question I'm sorry, I'm a serial worrywort when it comes to pets.
View attachment 12279

Bernaard,
I'm no expert but he looks a healthy weight to me. :)
It's my understanding that all tegu's grow at different rates.

Bernaard

Would be handy to know this too. I have a new Tegu and I'm from UK too (really cold at the moment ! )

The more I read about their hibernation behaviour, the more I think that's what he's doing. Particularly with the August we just had.
I've read a couple of older posts (on this forum I think) where people's tegu's started in August/September so it doesn't seem too out there.

I did get a vet to run some tests just in case (serial worrywort, like I said), if they can't see anything wrong with him, I will just leave him to do his thing I guess.

Next year I will move him away from the window and see if that keeps him awake, gonna miss my little guy.

Bernaard

Bernaard,
I'm no expert but he looks a healthy weight to me. :)
It's my understanding that all tegu's grow at different rates.

Thank you, I think he's ok, but I do tend to be abit over concerned haha!
I did take him to a vet in the end, just in case. Just waiting to hear results from them, if alls well I will just let him sleep.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced