• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Just a few questions.

beardeddragon111

My tegu appears to have started going into hibernation and I'm not exactly sure what to do. Isn't this a little bit early for them to start? If not, what Temps should I keep him at? Should I move him to s separate container?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My tegu appears to have started going into hibernation and I'm not exactly sure what to do. Isn't this a little bit early for them to start? If not, what Temps should I keep him at? Should I move him to separate container?
Some individuals sleep uninterrupted all winter long. Some not as long, and others wake-up from time to time. I would start with adjusting light and heat to natural day length of your town. See what he does. You'll want his hide to eventually be 58-70 F- ideally at the lower end of temp range.

beardeddragon111

I can do 70f but not much lower in fear if freezing my other herps :/. If I build a hide box I could probably keep it much cooler if it was hidden under the substrate on the cool end and kept moist. What im currently using as a hide wont work for that.He seems to want to sleep all day long at it just worried me so much the first couple days I kept waking him up. It was so sudden and he didnt want to get up or bask or anything. Im not quite sure what to do about this as he still has daily treatment for an injury on his face, which is healing but still not fully healed. I fear if it gets infected that could kill him. Also, should I do a vet check to make Sure he's healthy enough to hibernate, plenty fat and everything I just wanted reassurance.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Medication takes priority over all other matters. Don't make the hide too moist. If he wants to sleep, he's going to sleep. If his tail and thighs are plump, and if his pelvic girdle is well-layered with fat, you're on your way. A trip to the vet, especially in light of his still being on medication, would be helpful.

My hides are plastic car boys, bins, that are flipped upside-down and a hole cut our nearer to the top (about 10" from base) so that I can put several inches of eco earth in there, which I think that I do more for me than for them.

This year one hide for all three will go into a large tank and kept in the basement. Last year they slept all winter in a large shallow opaque plastic bin, the kind you put clothes in and slide under your bed. I drilled some air holes and added wads of newspaper. I roused them every month to check and see how they were doing (OK) and if they wanted water (no). this year they will have the option of more room if they want to, but again at 58F and dark, they'll sleep unless they REALLY need something.

Does this help?

beardeddragon111

Don't think I could thank you enough for the amount of information you've given me. I was going to build a hide box out of plywood and seal it, but I think your idea is faster, less costly, and easier. He will have a vet trip and will continue to be medicated. One question, should I leave his lights on a 12 hour cycle, shorten it to like 8 hours, or turn them off?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Don't think I could thank you enough for the amount of information you've given me. I was going to build a hide box out of plywood and seal it, but I think your idea is faster, less costly, and easier. He will have a vet trip and will continue to be medicated. One question, should I leave his lights on a 12 hour cycle, shorten it to like 8 hours, or turn them off?
For now, drop to 10 hrs on. Fasten dark cloth drape over the hide entrance so that it's dark when he's in. If he checks out as healthy and he continues to want to sleep a lot and not eat much/at all through this month, then cut lights entirely. Keep a bowl of water in the cage at all times.

Hibernation is gradual as they slowly clean out their digestive tracts so that when they finally knock off for the winter, no food is in their tracts that could rot and kill them.

beardeddragon111

This is what concerns me as One day he just wouldn't get up and bask/eat like he had been. Once he has a vet trip I'll be able to see if it's hibernation or lethargy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam