• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Most rewarding monitor to keep as a pet?

Dirkthejerk41

I know this is all opinion, and I'm not planning on getting a monitor, but I'm just curious what you all think is the most rewarding monitor to keep as a pet. Rewarding, in a sense of most handleable, "affectionate". Let's hear your thoughts.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am a glutton for pain, I had a pair of Argus monitors growing up (who in there right mind would let a 13 year old have Argus monitors really!?!) They were a rescue and the county animal control gave over to me. They were mean but oh my god the intelligence. They didn't mind me sitting in the cage with them which was an 8x12x6 run in the garage with a foot of dirt and sand. They would come over and play around with my shoes and crawl over my head. One was really facinated with taking my hat and barringing it. Food time was nuts and they had to be fed seperatly otherwise the female over ran the male every time and fight would brake out. I would give them treat puzzles to figure out and they were always interested people coming and going. Down side was I could never hold them. Petting was fine, didn't mind the harnesses but try and pick on up left me with tail welts and torn up arms.

AS for something to handle, I have always like White Throat Monitors. I had one for a short time before I left for college and then got a tegu.

Dirkthejerk41

would you say white throats are similar to tegus, temperament wise? like, are there any monitors that get "tamed" like tegus?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He tamed down quite a bit, I would say close to a tegu but it required a bit more work then my tegu did.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
If you keep monitors properly, most will be rather aggressive, fast, and hard to handle. Here's a video on how to properly acclimate a monitor to handling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SJKlTXfOF0

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Black throats need a cage at least 12x8x6 hopefully bigger. They need 2+ feet of substrate and hot basking temps. When kept properly, they eat a LOT of food. Please be aware of this before you make any decisions on whether to get one or not.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Haha some of the dwarf species can live in smaller cages but still have the same deep substrate needs. These species generally eat insects in large demands, so breeding roaches is almost a necessity when keeping them.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Yup. Ackies are a great starter monitor. They still need 18-24 inches of deep substrate(sand/soil mix) but could fit in a 4Lx2WX4H with 4H to allow for 2 feet of substrate. Bigger cage is always better though. They are entertaining and active and relatively easy to keep compared to some of the larger species.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I love Ackie monitors. I had one name Sputnik, he only have three legs but he was supper entertaining. If anyone wanted to get into monitors this is were I would start. They are hardy, calm down well, easy to keep and often times not too hard to find.

Here is Spud
Picture045.jpg

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
No. No healthy, well heated monitor is going to "handle well" like a tegu will. They are pretty high energy and don't generally do well with restraint. They also need high heat so long periods out of cage are worse for them than tegus.

HeatherN

the guy was asking a question just for curiosity's sake, he said that he wasnt looking to buy one, so i dont think you should direct your warnings at him.

as for the question, i've seen really tame blackthroats, but oh mah lawd, the size!
Intelligence-wise, i wouldnt know much about individual species, but as a whole, they're the smartest reptiles around. the documentary "Lizard Kings" or something like that was about monitors and showcasing their intelligence.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Many monitors appear tame when kept in less than ideal situations, ie not hot enough and cramped. They do tame down but it's on a case to case basis and no guarantees. Yeah Lizard Kings was quite interesting.

Dirkthejerk41

Yeah I mean I might be interested in one SOMEDAY, but it would only be an ackie. I can't do an enormous enclosure like that. I have an interest in tree monitors too, though I know they have very specific care requirements, beautiful animals though!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602