• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My Beautiful New Blue!

Azaleah

5 Year Member
So yesterday at the White Plains show, I was lucky enough to find a 7 year old BEAUTIFUL blue tegu. And not only is she huge and healthy, she is 100% tame. I fell asleep with her on my chest yesterday and woke up with her still laying with me. She is very beautiful and curious. I haven't thought of the perfect name for her yet, but before I do I wanted to confirm she was a female. The vendor told me she was female, and he said the guy that had him BEFORE him said the same, but her jowls are rather large so I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Here are some pictures of her face and vent area. Bobby, please help! LOL.

bigblue1.jpg

bigblue2.jpg

BTW, thats my sister holding her, just to show how big she really is. My sister is 14 lol.

Oh and I got to meet BOOSTFEEN, which was rather cool. You were a really nice guy!

hoosier

5 Year Member
nice blue. you are really lucky, i rarely ever see any adult tegus at the shows here.
as for the sexing i would say "she" has some big jowels. around the base of its tail can you feel two round hard scales?

Azaleah

5 Year Member
No, there are no round large scales, and the femoral pores are TINY, so thats why i thought she was a female... but her face is very masculine, so I couldn't figure it out.

And yea, I know I got really lucky. She cost a pretty penny, but she caught my heart immediately.

Azaleah

5 Year Member
jntann said:
really nice looking lizard. Iam thinking girl. how much does she weigh?

Wish I knew, but I don't have a good scale near me, and I am terrible at guessing weight. All I know is my arm was starting to hurt after carrying her all day at the reptile show lol.

burke0000

5 Year Member
Wow, that tegu looks awesome! Good find. Did you see alot of tegus there, I know there would be babies but I mean other adult ones?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
AWESOME!!! She's beautiful!!

We missed you at the show. We met BOOSTFEEN. I was wearing my TeguTalk t-shirt, that's how he found me. It was so nuts there you could have walk right over me and I wouldn't of noticed. We got there at 9:45 and left at 12:15. Only bought a bunch of feeders and a few supplies. And (4) 48" ReptiSun 10's @ $25 each for the Tegu's.

Vent looks female but the jowls look a little large. Our female is a bit chunky but has very little jowls.

IMG_0102_.jpg

We say a few small tegu's there but most of them were missing parts of tails and didn't look too good.

Azaleah

5 Year Member
Yea, honestly this was the only nice looking tegu I saw at the show, and I grabbed her at like 9:45 when I got in. I just couldnt leave her.

New pictures will come tomorrow, I promise, of her full body. She is beautiful and almost flawless (looks like shes missing a tail tip, and she had retained shed on her tail).

But Dave, if it turns out she is a girl, maybe you'll let me borrow your male so we can have some babies ;-). Sorry I missed you, woulda been awesome to see you there.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Azaleah said:
Yea, honestly this was the only nice looking tegu I saw at the show, and I grabbed her at like 9:45 when I got in. I just couldnt leave her.

New pictures will come tomorrow, I promise, of her full body. She is beautiful and almost flawless (looks like shes missing a tail tip, and she had retained shed on her tail).

But Dave, if it turns out she is a girl, maybe you'll let me borrow your male so we can have some babies ;-). Sorry I missed you, woulda been awesome to see you there.
How did wee miss you with a Blue Tegu on your shoulder???!!! I've never seen a nice Tegu at a show like that one!!

We spent some time looking for rodents at the various vendors, none of them had all that I wanted. Then we ran up and down a few aisles. It got really nuts by 11am. I put the blinders on and ignore the people and try to see some of the reptiles.

We're gonna try getting our male & female Blues together again this weekend. A couple of weeks ago he took a chunk out of her. Bobby says this is very common in their breeding ritual. I don't want her to get messed up. We don't even know if she has any eggs to fertilize, but she is a little chunkier than normal. We gotta try again!!!

Azaleah

5 Year Member
Yea I also worry that she is too old to breed. They said she was about 7 years old, as the previous owner had her from a hatchling and for 6 years, and they had had her for a little less than a year.

Here's some pictures of her full body. I tried to get one of myself holding her, but thats not so easy when I don't have someone taking pictures for me lol.

bigblue5.jpg

bigblue4.jpg

bigblue3.jpg

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
tegulevi said:
150% male. but a nice male indeed. male blues have tiny pores
Hmmm... Very true. I though her Blue might be a male because of the jowls.

We've questioned whether or not our male is actually a female because the spur bumps are so small. But he has some jowls and our female has none even though she's bigger than him. Our male Red have huge spur bumps, Bobby used his pic as an example, you can't miss them.

tegulevi

5 Year Member
yeah red males have huge pores. but my blue who is a full 48" has tiny bb sized pores.

wonder if he takes that as an insult

Azaleah

5 Year Member
I have some new pics of her (I have been calling her a female because that seems to be the more common consensus, and for some reason she has a feminine look to her) with me in them. I just wanted to show you guys how truly amazing she is. Shes a big girl, measuring in at 40" long. I really should weigh her, I will get around to doing that soon.

mebrandi3.jpg

mebrandi2.jpg

(chubby chins: like mother, like daughter lol)

And one of just her, perched on my leg:
brandi71808.jpg

Oh and if I didn't mention it earlier, I named her Brandi, but I normally call her Queen Brandi. It goes along with my theme too, as my Red is named Sangria and my Black and White is named Chardonnay lol. Hooray for alcoholic tegus!

Azaleah

5 Year Member
tegulevi said:
yeah red males have huge pores. but my blue who is a full 48" has tiny bb sized pores.

wonder if he takes that as an insult

I just wanted to say, "her" pores are much smaller than BB's... theyre more the size of the dots used in Braille....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602