• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My Buddy I-Gon

Quijibo

5 Year Member
I just thought I'd share a pic of my buddy I-Gon. We call him I-Gon because he's missing his right eye, and as a tribute to Steve Irwin. He was trapped in a drain and was nearly dead when I found him.
He's very old, smells very bad, is ornery as hell, but I love him anyway.

;} He even has his own icon!

Igone.jpg

Quijibo

5 Year Member
wyattroa said:
what is it weighing in at and where do you keep it?
robert

Actually, he's rather small for as old as he is. His shell is about 14" long, and right now, he's only about 20lbs. When I found him, he felt like an empty shell when I picked him up. I was shocked that he could loose so much weight and still be alive. I kept him in a big rubbermaid bin until he fattened up. Now he is in a small pond near my house, doing a good job keeping the frog population in check. I'm going to move him soon to a protected lake before winter. I'm gonna miss him.
I had quite a few snappers as a kid. Every spring for about 10 years I'd find a baby, keep him all summer, and let him go in the fall. I only kept one adult, a huge female that was in a pond being filled. She was well over 18" long and weighed over 50 lbs. We kept her in a 10' stock tank. We had her for about 6-7 years before I let her go.
I adore snapping turtles. Nature's box of concentrated malice.

;}

Reflektr

5 Year Member
Nature's box of concentrated malice. Nice. Never has there been a more pleasantly accurate way of describing a snapping turtle lol. They are pretty awesome. Last one I found was a 10 pounder on a bike trail by the lake. Well technically, it found me. I rode by and it struck at me, so I played with it for about 10 minutes, then carried it acrossed the path the way it was facing. Just gave me this look like "...why'd you do that?" then plodded towards some brush. Anyone see the crazy snapping turtle color morphs? They look like they should have mohawks or something!

Quijibo

5 Year Member
Hi, Reflektr.
I grew up in Bloomington.There seems to be a lot of folks on this forum from Ill. The only odd Snapper I ever saw was a big albino in a pet shop in Dallas. Other then albino, and Rotten-mud-black, the only morph I've ever seen was moss green with leaches. :lol:

Reflektr

5 Year Member
lol, I'm familiar with the rotten-mud-black morph. These guys are outta hand though:

13795DSCN0125-med1.jpg

6c492e3f-9496-41c3-8336-4a821.jpg

...And you know that poor turtles gotta be thinking "...Years of evolutionary camoflage...Ruined! Thanks a lot Dr. Splicer... Now ALL the fish will see me coming!

I have noticed quite a few members near my neck o the woods. Bloomington huh? Only been there once, for a 'vette show I think.

Quijibo

5 Year Member
My deepest sympathies th the above critters. Sometimes you gotta' wonder what goes through peoples heads.. :crazy

I think snapper are beautiful the way nature intended them to be.
That said, I think both would be pretty successful hunting in a Koi pond.

Dvdh1

5 Year Member
That orange one looks like an orangutan. Quijibo, in the picture he looks alot bigger than 14" across. I love the "natures box of concentrated malice"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced