• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Need help with growth tegu rate!

skylarlaham

5 Year Member
Hey guys I need help! I have had my tegu for around 3 months, and hes around 2' long. When I got him, he was roughly 1' or so... Is his growth average, or is he small? And also, are there any foods that will make him grow bigger?
Thanks, Skylar.

cornking4

5 Year Member
Gaining one foot in three months is a good growth rate for a B&W, although there is a lot of variation in growth rates between different tegus, just as there is among humans. As long as she is given a proper and varied diet on the correct intervals, as well as proper lighting, she should have no issue. I use Bobby's diet, which can be found in the food section of his care page:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20&hilit=diet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20&hilit=diet</a><!-- l -->

Be sure to mix it up and add vitamins and whole prey items, which can be anything on Puff's list. Try to give about 80% meats and egg:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1353&hilit=food+list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1353&hilit=food+list</a><!-- l -->

Vitamin supplements are also recommended, but be sure to get the stuff WITHOUT D3, as D3 will cause impaction and gout. Your bulb should be mercury vapor, which will provide close-to-sunlight spectrums and will prevent MBD.

If all of this is taken care of, your gu should be fine. Post some pics, I'm sure we'd all love to see them :-D

skylarlaham

5 Year Member
Um the tanks like 7 or 8 feet long by 2 feet wide and 2 feet tall. And im not sure if it is mercury vapor but i know its a uvb.

cornking4

5 Year Member
Sounds like good dimensions for a starter cage, but you'll probably want to move up to a 6'x3'x3' or 8'x4'x4' in the future. You should get a Powersun or Megaray bulb for him because the bulb you're using now won't provide any of the heat or UVA/UVC needed to prevent MBD.... In other words, if you don't get the mercury vapor bulb, he'll develop limps, twitches, and bone loss, which leads to death pretty fast.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://reptilesonline.com/store/catalog/-/zoo-med-100-watt-powersun-uvb-heat-bulbs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://reptilesonline.com/store/catalog ... eat-bulbs/</a><!-- m -->

skylarlaham

5 Year Member
I do have heat n spot lamps in the tank too... and if im not mistaken, uvb lights are the ones theat stop MBD... But ya, im gonna upgrade, not any time soon, but once hes full grown, ill put him in an 8x4 or a 6x6.. maybe a little bigger. But i also think im gonna buy him a girl friend in a few weeks, so who knows, they might need a upgrade a lil sooner.

Meg90

5 Year Member
That's a red/black and white cross right? Is that off Kingsnake? I think I have seen it before...

skylarlaham

5 Year Member
Ya, it is... Please dont get it lol... I already have a red X black white tegu from Agama, so I figured I might as well try and continue this cool breed!

Zilch

5 Year Member
If that's the picture I think it is it's from Ben Siegel's Reptiles down here in Florida, I've actually been down to his store, it's very clean and the animals are all well taken care of. He actually has been known to carry Varnyard tegus as well... this one obviously isn't, but Ben generally has high quality animals.

skylarlaham

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the input and responces. Ya I cant wait, how sick would those puppies be hahaha. Oh ya, how long or how old till they can mate?

Zilch

5 Year Member
I think it's generally accepted that they should be 3 years old before you breed them, but I could be mistaken.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980