• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New and Help Needed whit new Tegu :P

VA farmer

Wud up All?
I'm the VA Farmer. I have chickens, Goats, Alpacas, Rabbits, Tortoise and tegus. Ive had a 5year old male Tegu and just purchased a 2year old female tag 2 weeks ago. I want to start breeding the tegus but I have 2 issues.

1. The new female stopped eating once I put them in together.
2. They are showing no interest in eachother.

How do you guys/gals get them interested in each other?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wud up All?
I'm the VA Farmer. I have chickens, Goats, Alpacas, Rabbits, Tortoise and tegus. Ive had a 5year old male Tegu and just purchased a 2year old female tag 2 weeks ago. I want to start breeding the tegus but I have 2 issues.

1. The new female stopped eating once I put them in together.
2. They are showing no interest in eachother.

How do you guys/gals get them interested in each other?
Hey and welcome. Both adults have to rest hard during the winter.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey and welcome. Both adults have to rest hard during the winter.
Hit send too soon. The longer days and warmth will help trigger mating. The season is brief. Can happen early in the spring, but typical in Miami is June.

VA farmer

Hey Walter,
I was told the female did hibernate this winter but, my 5year old male tegu has never hibernated. We'll this cause any major affects with breeding? Also, the female stopped eating when I put them together in the same enclosure now. Do you think she'll start eating again after a week. All she does is stay buried in mulch or the hide

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey Walter,
I was told the female did hibernate this winter but, my 5year old male tegu has never hibernated. We'll this cause any major affects with breeding? Also, the female stopped eating when I put them together in the same enclosure now. Do you think she'll start eating again after a week. All she does is stay buried in mulch or the hide
Hard to tell on both questions. He might mate but overwintering is very important. Not sure on female's behavior but looks to me like typical shyness when first moved to new set-ups. Could take two weeks before shecsettles into a new routine. Watch them both carefully. Usually, but not guaranteed, to get along. Make sure that they are in no way cramped.

How bigvis enclosure?

VA farmer

Indoor enclosed is 2.5 x 9ft and the outdoor enclose part of my back deck. Which I give them about 15 x 5ft. I bring them indoors@ night when it gets a little cool out and I'll put them inside @ night. And over the winter. Been pretty hot out in Virginia.

VA farmer

Also what a good diet mix that well keep the poop solid like when they eat whole prey. Or do I have to only feed whole prey. Hard to feed them now. because the male well just eat it all if its whole prey. If its ground meats, veggies and fruits.. then he'll leave some for her but, damn, the poo is a mess eating that stuff. Like MUD BUTT!!!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Also what a good diet mix that well keep the poop solid like when they eat whole prey. Or do I have to only feed whole prey. Hard to feed them now. because the male well just eat it all if its whole prey. If its ground meats, veggies and fruits.. then he'll leave some for her but, damn, the poo is a mess eating that stuff. Like MUD BUTT!!!
A mix of lots of whole prey,some organ meats, hih qualit wet dog food, and various fruits, all with added calcium powder.

Perhaps place food in more than one spot so that female isn't crowded out.

VA farmer

Cool,
I'll try that out. Can I use crushed egg shells for the calcium since my chickens and quail give me over a dozen eggs a day?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'll change they're diet up for the next week. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.
What reptiles do you have?

Thanks for the help
Yes. Please keep update.

Presently, a 1.1 Adult redfoots raised from small, 1.2 WC Argentines from Florida. Had kept primarily eastern rat snakes and green iguanas over the past 20+ years. and odds and ends.

Having previously kept herps at some level helps a lot in keeping tegus I think.

VA farmer

Damn, my first reptile was an iguana then,
1.Ball python
2.Jungle carpet python
3. Red tail boa-baby was born so, wife said all snakes s must go.
4. 2 blue tongue skinks- awesome for my daughters show and tell @ school.
5. Savahanna monitor - evil thing
5. Peach threat monitor-psycho

Now just 2 B&W argentine Tegus and and 1 red foot tortoise. Along with our farm animals..After owning a Tegu for 5yrs now. I'll own another Monitor!!!
This is first time I've ever thought about breeding and we really like tegu so, this is my perch chance.

BTY today I feed female in the indoor enclose and the male in the outdoor enclose and the female is eating like a pig!!! I feed m

Ground turkey meat
Banana
Avocado
Calcium powdef

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Damn, my first reptile was an iguana then,
1.Ball python
2.Jungle carpet python
3. Red tail boa-baby was born so, wife said all snakes s must go.
4. 2 blue tongue skinks- awesome for my daughters show and tell @ school.
5. Savahanna monitor - evil thing
5. Peach threat monitor-psycho

Now just 2 B&W argentine Tegus and and 1 red foot tortoise. Along with our farm animals..After owning a Tegu for 5yrs now. I'll own another Monitor!!!
This is first time I've ever thought about breeding and we really like tegu so, this is my perch chance.

BTY today I feed female in the indoor enclose and the male in the outdoor enclose and the female is eating like a pig!!! I feed m

Ground turkey meat
Banana
Avocado
Calcium powdef
Best of luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member