• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

new tegu daddy with a question

Jason

5 Year Member
I have a question about nighttime heat. my baby sleeps in his burrow under his water dish, and closes the entrances with ecoearth. would it be okay to leave his daytime basking lamp on over night? I figure no light will get through to him. or would it be best to get an alternative form of nightime heat?
I'm not used to burrowing herps, other than my leopard frog, but he doesn't need heat.
Its just starting to cool down in AZ so I want to make sure I'm prepared for when it does get chilly.
Also I'll be building his permanent enclosure soon, so If there are any tegu specific details I should add in my design please make me aware. I custom make furniture quality enclosures, so if anyone lives in tucson, AZ and needs help building something I'd be glad to help, or even do it for you.
Thanks for the input
Jason and ollie

Meg90

5 Year Member
Don't leave his lights on. They need a day to night cycle to stay healthy.

How cold does your room get at night? Its actually healthy to have somewhat of a temp drop--its natural for them. As long as your room isn't colder than 65, I say leave be. I don't use night heat for any of my animals.

Jason

5 Year Member
sure, I'll move to cali.....any high paying jobs and dirt cheap houses you can set me up with?

Jason

5 Year Member
The temp in the room shouldn't get below 65. I was just worried, being new to the species.... I spent months researching before i got my little guy/girl, but of course everything goes flying out of your head once you need it :doh I don't use nightime heat for my Ig either, but his cage is custom and holds in alot of heat, and humidity. Ollie's in a tank, for now, with a screen lid (yuck!). I was just worried about more heat escaping.

bubbategu2

5 Year Member
LOL!! Yeah-as soon as I find that, I'll let you know (after me and my roommate Ha Ha).. jobs and cheap houses around here are like blue tegus- gone!! before you've even figured out whether you really want it or not !!

Terry

5 Year Member
You could put a light fixture in and add a ceramic heat emiter (CHE). They dont provide any light but provide heat, if you use the right one you could get your temps all day but still have it dark in there for night time.

Jason

5 Year Member
Iv'e got a che sitting around somewhere from my Igs old cage. I think its either 100 or 150 watt tho. thats way too high for my lil gu's temporary home. I think I'll just leave a space heater in the same room, keep the whole room a little warmer than the rest of the house.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced