• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Off the ark exotic reptiles stay away

herpgirl2510

Just so you know she was not supposed to be sick or a rescue she was one when the got her 5 months ago the other monitors for sale are also not advertised as rescues.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just do what you feel is right by you and what you are feel you are capable of handling. If you think it best to send it back, then do so...if you think it best to keep it, then do that as well. You do not look like a moron and the negative advertising will get around about their business. It is sad and I completely understand your desire to keep it and rehab it. I wouldn't buy a sick animal from a pet store to save it. But once I've bought it sight unseen and it is in my hands, it is really hard to send it back. Is it a mother thing, lol?

slideaboot

5 Year Member
I'm really pulling for a solid recovery for that little guy. Imagine all the good feelings that'll come along if/when you are able to rehab him! And, if he doesn't make it, at least you'll know you gave it the best fighting chance available--given the circumstances. God knows there have been animals in worse shape that have recovered--there's definitely HOPE!!!

Good luck! Keep us posted, please.

herpgirl2510

Thank for the encouragement. I cut up a few pieces of shrimp for her and ground turkey I rolled roaches in it. I kind of rub her nose lightly she opens and I put it in and she swallows. I have also been soaking her everyday under all that dark brown skin is light grey new skin alot has been coming off I rub a little olive oil when I take her out of the bath. She stays buried under this large clear glass water dish with just half of her head poking out. After she has been in the bath for 30 minutes she seems perky. I would have to say it is a mom thing I have two boys 8 and 17 the motherly instincts are kicking in..
I wish I could post pics I dumped water on my computer now the drive to put the memory card from the camera won't work. She is becoming much rounder she is in the tub now and is not all wrinkly and emaciated in the belly as she was.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good to hear, about the savy not the comp lol
I too am really hoping that she will pull through.

herpgirl2510

Thanks guys. I am wondering if I should pull back now and let her eat and drink on her own offer it in her cage but let her do it on her own. Advice appreciated.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You can certainly try, you had said she does eat for you but you've been having to help encourage eating? The worst that'll happen is she just doesn't eat it on her own, in which case you can go back to helping her as you have been. I might try feeding her in the tub or outside of the enclosure for now if possible, this way she is less likely to digest the substrate. I had fed my savy in his enclosure and he was not food aggressive AT ALL but since yours is trying to recover from health issues, IMO it would be better to keep things as least stressful as possible on her mentally and physically.

I would continue the soaking if she still looks dehydrated or has issues with stuck skin. The warm water will probably also help encourage bowel movements. I don't see any harm in bathing her.

herpgirl2510

That's what I thought but Vinny texted me and said to let her instincts kick in. I hold her on my lap out side to feed her I have to put the food in her mouth she will open it if I tap her nose lightly with the turkey. I worry if I just leave her she will waste away again. I thought the baths were important too since she has not gone to the bathroom yet any ideas how to help that happen. Seems very bad that is has not happened since I got her tuesday.

herpgirl2510

Update I found a poop with white urates :0
015.jpg

Here is a updated shot she is filling out in the belly area. You can also see her spots now.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
yay poop! even a small amount is better than nothing. i wouldnt expect a lot of poop if shes not eating much. id try and see if she'll eat on her own, again, if not you can try feeding her as you have
been. let us know how it goes! is that pic from today? she looks a bit better already! keep on working with her you're doing a great thing.
i looked at the first page's pics again and she looks a lot better, not 'a bit' as i originally said

ooo and you might be able to try a multi vitamin. maybe james or another monitor savvy (lolol) person can give input. i started using one and my little tegus have put on quite a bit of healthy weight

herpgirl2510

She does look alot better. Funny when I bring her down from her bath I go sit in the chair with her where I feed her and she opens her mouth. I am going to try letting her eat on her own problem is for 5 months she was only fed live mice. I put a bowl of roaches so we will se what happens.I can't wait until it warms up here to let her get some real sun. Thiss new england weather sucks.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I saw in another thread that she passed? I didn't want to get off topic on that thread so I thought I'd ask here.. I'm sorry about that, you did a great job with the time you had. Even in just the couple days she looked a lot better..

herpgirl2510

Thank you she became so weak she would just hang over my hands the day she died and she was always cold because she would never bask. It was weird she seemed to be doing better and then bang the next day she was doing terrible she died that day. She was probably so stressed from the trip and her body was already so weak then to add shipping. Weall know how many reptiles hide for the first week and can refuse food from the stress of a new place she was just not nearly healthy enough to make it through that.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Poor baby, at least she was in a safe comfortable nurturing home for her last few days.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ah I am so sorry, I was really rooting for her. It sad to think that all the mis treatment she rescived before you got hier couldn't be reversed.

Neeko

Are you talking about the store in VA? Vinny is the owner? If so thanks. I've visited his store a couple of times since he's in the area. He seemed like a reputable guy... I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

herpgirl2510

He was a pretty stand up guy he was sorry about what had happened he was keeping in touch with me for the time that I had the monitor. I have dealt with him a few times since then and they have been positive. Everyone makes a mistake and hopefully this will make him more conscience of the animals he sends out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced