• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Ouch :(

Jstew

My monitor got some burns on her back nothing has popped she just has some heat blisters. What are some ways I can sooth her? I've Been using the tropical alovera mist and some antibiotic ointment but is there anything else I can do? Thanks for the help.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
I've used lidocaine/xylocaine gel, it works somewhat but reptiles do not respond the same to analgesics as do endotherms.

Logie_Bear

Owie! My boa got burned on his tail really bad a few years back. We used the zoomed burn aid you buy in a little bottle. It worked really well and he didn't scar at all.

Jstew

I had a 150 halogen spot that a temped at 123. I temped it at the hottest basking spot in the cage my only assumption could be that she stayed in just the right spot for too long. I have switched to a few lesser heat lights a a zilla hundred spot she seemed to do better with that set up

Jstew

@logie bear yeah it broke my heart to see her poor little back all blistered up honestly I caught it before it got too bad I'm just an over protective parent and want her to be back to 100 asap

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Thats probably why, if you use outdoor floods which are halogens you dont need to go that high, I use 3, 50watt outdoor floods in a cluster in an 8x4 and get a basking surface of 145. with a raised basking. but key is to go small watts but multiple bulbs. if you use multiple bulbs then they heat their entire body faster and more effeciently so then they dont sit under the light as long which leads to burns. burns can also happen when the ambient temp is too low so the bask longer, and on certain bulbs. if your using any bulb that has the company logo on the bottom then it will create a hot spot which can lead to burns. make sure when switching to a zilla that your still getting the high basking temp you need. Also do you have a rock underneath? It will retain heat more than wood or bedding so basking doesnt take too long too. Are you measuring with a temp gun?

Attachments

• bulbs.jpg
    bulbs.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 21

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced