• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Paraguayan Red and White Tegus?

Byrns149

5 Year Member
So i was looking on a breeder site and i found these guys. I cant find anything on the internet about them. What is the difference between these guys and Argentines? I know they are captive bred because i saw a video of him cutting open the eggs. Im looking into buying one since theyre only priced at $200.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You're always allowed to mention names, companies, breeders, etc. The care is the exact same. As far as I know its the exact same species as the argentine reds.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They are the same species and scientific classification. Word is they came from a different locality and the name was added as a marketing enhancement.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That ^ ^ ^ it's just marketing, like their Blues, Platinum or what ever. Since their Argentines are about what 100 or 150, the Paraguays are 200,.. how much will the Chacoan Reds be.

prtrex

I just got a paraguay red and white from underground today. and i tell you beautiful tegus. And i do see the difference from argentine reds. This guys have more white on them and if you look at the video of them bigger you can tell the difference. I feed her today turkey and she ate with no problem. she let me handle easily she moved a lot but she wasn't crazy. One of the tamest lizards i ever handled and she just a baby. So i am expecting for her to get better and better. She hiding right now sure she sleeping. I would really suggest getting one from them. I was not going to get red one because personally not a fan of then reds but read that white came more out of these tegu more and i am so glad i did get her!!! I promise you that you won't be disappointed!!

kellen.watkins

I have one :) and another member does too what's strange is mine and the others are really tame and calm as well. I do like the pattern on these more than other reds but who is to say they came paraguay?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I had a red from varnyard that had a bright red color and alot of white that intensified as he got older, i just dont buy into the whole locale thing with tegus when theres no proof

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That's my only thing as well. Common names can be really confusing. It sounds as if they are trying to pass it off as a morph, or new species/subspecies to me. I've talk to them at such and they are nice guys and have nice looking tegus. It's nothing personal, just my opinion.

I saw a vendor at the Daytona show that had some imported baby reds. Each one had nice color and spectacular pattern. They were quite tame as well. I think people get used to a certain look because tegus are imported from a particular area and then the breeders in the US use the pairs each year. When something new comes in, it seems so unusual.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
prtrex said:
I just got a paraguay red and white from underground today. and i tell you beautiful tegus. And i do see the difference from argentine reds. This guys have more white on them and if you look at the video of them bigger you can tell the difference. I feed her today turkey and she ate with no problem. she let me handle easily she moved a lot but she wasn't crazy. One of the tamest lizards i ever handled and she just a baby. So i am expecting for her to get better and better. She hiding right now sure she sleeping. I would really suggest getting one from them. I was not going to get red one because personally not a fan of then reds but read that white came more out of these tegu more and i am so glad i did get her!!! I promise you that you won't be disappointed!!
Nice sales pitch senor(ita) 1 post.. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi