• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Please help shedding problems!

SpyHunter

My tegu is losing toes from shedding and it's bugging me! I have the right humidity a good diet and have even done work with olive oil. What else can I do? he takes regular baths I'm just starting to think he just sucks at it. Please help me I feel like a bad owner!

dpjm

5 Year Member
In most captive situations, tegus just don't have the environmental features needed to shed certain areas like toes properly. I imagine that this is in part due to our simplified substrates. Compare what you have in your enclosure with what a tegu would experience in the wild. Activity levels also play a part. Think of a wild tegu actively moving through a diverse environment and how much more opportunity they have to rub their toes against abrasive surfaces and compare this to a tegu in a captive situation. (I would be interested to hear from Roadkill whether wild tegus he has seen have similar issues, but I bet they don't as much.)

I had to help my tegu shed his toes all the time but it never got to the point where he lost toes. I would always do it following a long soak so the skin is easier to peel off. You really need to keep on top of this. They lose their toes from constriction of the unshed skin that restricts blood flow to the toes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602