• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Potting Soil

messianic

So i made a new enclosure for my GU and i know she loves to dig but i dont know what kind of soil is good for her to be in, if anyone can help me out with this subject that would be great thanks.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
messianic said:
So i made a new enclosure for my GU and i know she loves to dig but i dont know what kind of soil is good for her to be in, if anyone can help me out with this subject that would be great thanks.

i used sphraugum moss potting soil(cant remember who made it) for my red tegu and never had a problem...he was able to make burrows all over the tank..and it holds humidity well!

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have chosen not to use any kind of dirt... simply because when my Tegu free roams I don't want him tracking dirt all over my carpet. While little bits of cyress mulch does track out behind him, it vacuums up very easily and doesn't discolor the carpet at all...

messianic

sweet that helped me out a lot there are so many to choose from and i dont want to get her sick because of me. Reptastic you said sphraugum moss potting soil is good do you know where i can buy it at?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've used hemlock mulch from day one. It seems to hold burrows/dens pretty well, I do have to add some water and mix it all up every now and then. For my savy I've been using dirt mixed with some eco earth. Soil should be alright for a tegu as long as there aren't any additives.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
messianic said:
You don't buy it from there anymore

Well for the time being i no longer have tegus...i lost all of my reptiles to a house fire this past summer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980