• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

PowerSun 100W bulb for heat source in 18"H cage

Bill S.

5 Year Member
If I got two 100W PowerSun MV bulbs with 10" reflectors side by side, would they provide a nice basking temp in a 6' x 3' x 18" cage in a room with typical room temps?

I'm concerned about the 18" height. I can use an RHP for additional ambient heat, but I need the UVB and would like to get 110 degrees or so from these bulbs on the basking zone.

Thanks!

Bill

31drew31

5 Year Member
The bulb itself also adds another 4 or 5 inches so your looking at 14-13 inches from the bottom of the enclosure. Now consider the depth of your substrate. If your only going with a couple inches of substrate that will put you at 12 - 11 inches from bulb to ground. For me in my 6x3x2.5 with a single powersun 100 at 12 inches I get 105 degrees when fully warmed up. So with 2 you will be looking probably around 120 degrees. two might be a little too much heat. Especially is your planning on using a decent substrate depth.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree with the 12" distance giving 105 degrees. I use 20G long tanks (12" deep, newspaper for substrate) for our hatchlings and a 100W PowerSun is just right. Just be sure he can't touch the bulb of get within 2 or 3 inches of it or he could get burned.

TehPenguin

5 Year Member
I think 2 would be too much. This also doubles the UVB exposure, so you need to make sure he isn't getting too much UVB. At 12" my Tegu getting is getting 53 microwatts of UVB exposure. Doubling it at 12" would mean a 100 because the beams of UVB overlap that close.

luna

5 Year Member
I am building a 6'x'3'x3' enclosure and I want to use Powersun lights but I'm not sure how many to use. Would two be enough UVB for a tegu or would 3 be better?

crox

5 Year Member
I asked pretty much the same question before. Im building a 8x4x3 and they told me just one would be fine for the temp and the uvb. Those powersuns are super awesome.

and petmountain.com has em half off right now. Thats a deal

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supportibi