• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

QUESTIONS about Clicker Training for TEGUS

jmwgibson56

5 Year Member
Ok so here's the deal. I'm getting my very own black and white argentine tegu within the next week and a half from bobby's stock. I'm planning on using the conditioning technique to answer a couple questions i have in terms of memory. When i "Charge the Clicker" treats are needed to reinforce the clicking noise so it'll actually mean something to the tegu. My question for all of you is what exactly is YOUR tegus personal favorite treat. That way i can formulate an average and test a select few to act as "treats" for the reinforcement. Thanks for your help everybody!!!

-jmwgibson56

bruce bull

5 Year Member
Mine will sit on my feet or stand up on there hind legs and lean against me to beg when I'm in the kitchen cutting up chicken. :grno

jmwgibson56

5 Year Member
haha thats so cool bruce. I was talking to this employee at the reptile store and he suggested small bits of all beef hotdog t use as training treats. Do a lot of people use clicker training with their tegus? If so, love to hear what your tegu has "learned".

bruce bull

5 Year Member
While I have heard of it I have no first hand experience with using a clicker. having said that I don't know why it would not work. tegus seem to be very associative with things like food, heat and light . Elma my red tegu female and Leonidas my b/w male know that mice and rats come in paper bags and will come to the sound of me shaking the bag or even the crinkling sound of opening up the bag. They know when I'm in the kitchen and food is being prepared and they will appear and beg for scraps. Some of the members have potty trained there tegus to some extent. Mine are placed into the bathtub and given a warm shower or bath before being allowed to free roam they almost always make a deposit at this time making clean-up easy and saving me from cleaning up the carpet. I'm not sure if that is a learned behavior or a reaction to the stimulus of the warm water I suspect it is a combination of both.
Good luck with your new tegu :fc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602