• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Red Tegu Taming Advice PLEASE HELP

Fr0stbit3

5 Year Member
Hello! I am relatively new to keeping a tegu as a pet. I have been keeping different varieties of reptiles for a few years now and last summer around August I purchased a juvenile Red Argentine Tegu off of Craigslist. I am not sure exactly how old she is but I've had her for 7 months now. Her previous owner was using her for breeding purposes but decided to stick to snakes so I took her off his hands.

She is not aggressive. She doesn't tail whip or bite or anything. I let her roam around my apartment a lot and she likes to explore. My concern is whenever I go near her or try touching her she starts puffing. I can pick her up but she tries to climb on my shoulder and down my back or simply tries to jump from my hands. I do the treadmill trick with my hands but she doesn't seem to get tired.

She eats just fine. I feed her either salmon steaks with skin or the tegu recipe someone showed me which consists of raw turkey, eggs, applesauce, bearded dragon herbivore mix, and fruit mix mixed together.

My main concern is how do I get her to tolerate me more so that she doesn't puff when I go near her. She's always trying to walk away if I ever touch her.

Please help!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602