• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

ReptiCon - Concord, NC

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Is anyone from here going to be at ReptiCon in Concord, NC next weekend?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.repticon.com/charlotte.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.repticon.com/charlotte.html</a><!-- m -->

I'll be there on Sunday, possibly getting a Red Tail Boa... but we'll have to see what's available first...

I was considering bring My Tegu with me for a couple hours, but it looks like he may have decided to go to sleep for the season a bit early this year. If he's awake I'll likely bring him. If not I won't push the issue...

Conveniently, I live about 15 minutes from the arena it's being held at...

G

I will be there! I live pretty close as well, in Huntersville. I wont be bringing my tegu though because my parents might be a bit upset if they knew I had a lizard that was going to get 3ft+ long and they already aren't happy with the number of snakes we have...might bring my beardie though! Its too bad your tegu might not be going, I would love to meet him. Hopefully he is awake :)

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I hope to see you there!

I'll wear my Tegu Talk T-shirt, feel free to say hi if you see me...

My Tegu was awake when I got home from work today and he was pretty active walkign around the house once I let him out. So there's still hope!

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Daenerys said:
Yay :) Do you ever make the drive to the Raleigh shows?

I haven't yet... I went to a fish auction up therre a few years ago though. If I had something to sell or was shopping for something specific I surely would drive up for a show though...

jd61285 said:
I'm planninig on going saturday.

That rocks. I have to work all day Saturday. I considered calling off to go but I'm hoping that all day Sunday will be enough to scratch my itch...

I'm planning a Boa breeding attempt/project and it looks like I have both funds and space available for the first step. So I'll be shopping for a female Type 1 Anery or a female Lipstick Sunglow...

G

You should hopefully be able to find a better deal on Sunday since its the last day. We're only going for funsies, maybe some mice. We are at our animal limit already.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dang, we should have traded phone numbers....

It was chilli so I wore a blue sweater over my Tegu Talk T shirt...

I was there from around 12n~ 4pm Sunday...

I was walking around with a hot brunette with pink/purple highlights in her hair... I'm easily overlooked but she usually gets noticed/remembered :p

I've been at odds with what direction I want to go regarding reptiles. I like Boas and other bigger snakes... My girl really wants to try to breed Ball Pythons. Since we are still considering/debating, we choose not to get either yet.

But she is very interested in smaller Boas, so I bought her a Kenyan Sand Boa to go along with her pair of Rubber Boas. I also made some local contacts for Dart Frogs, as I've been threatening to get some of them for a while now.

I didn't see any large Tegus there, but I did see a young 'pair' of Bobby's Extreme Giants there.

The biggest lizard I saw was "Flapjack", the obesse Savannah Monitor. It was a rescue and the new owner was trimming it down from an enormous weight. It's skin was stretches out enough to hold a big fat belly but the lizard was no longer that fat, so it's skin was to big, so when it layed flat on it's heating pad it was round and flat like a pancake.

My Tegu was being too lazy for such an outing...

Some of my Snake Friends said that the show had a poor turnout of both vendors and attendees, but as I haven't been to nearly as many shows as they go to, I had a blast and was impressed at the array of animals available.

Daenerys, sorry I didn't better plan meeting you. I guess I'll have to come up to Raleigh for the next show up there to make up for it ;)

the enigma

I think that the repticon shows do well because the vendors can sell wild caught animals there. Opening the door for rarer stuff. Some shows are CB only. i hope your Boa project works out well.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
^^While I'm sure that does make a difference to some of the vendors...

I don't recall seeing any WC animals there, though I wasn't looking for them...

the enigma

They are not neccesarily labeled as wild caught, and they look prety good most of the times so you can't really tell unless you ask.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Gotcha...

The vast majority of the tables were large scale hobbyists that were eager to talk about their breeding projects...

Although there were a few "corporate" type vendors that were distributing mass market animals. I would imagine these would be the guys selling WC animals if anyone was.

To me it was real easy to tell them apart and in every case I would prefer to give my money to someone who was eager to talk to me about their projects than the guy who was only willing to talk to someone woh had cash in hand ready to buy.

From what I understand the amout of vendors as well as attendees was down from previous years, but it still felt well attended to this first time attendee. I had a real good time and would encourage anyone interested in reptiles to visit a show near them.

the enigma

Well i went to repticon while it was here, in Baltimore. It was a huge hit. I think I saw some of the corporate companies you were talking about. What i meant specifically is that one vendor had two individual animals and they were the only WCs he had. he was a nice guy. easy to talk to. fun times were had that day

G

I don't think this show was too bad though there wasn't much variety in the animals there. I was there from like 1-5 on Sunday (stood outside talking after the show for like an hour lol).

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'll be there on Sunday again... While I'll plan on showing up earlier, I likely won't get there until 12~1pm and stay until I get kicked out.

My Tegu is awake and active, but now that I've been to a couple of shows, I wouldn't want to be lugging his fat butt around with me. But I'll gladly meet up with anyone willing to drive back towards Huntersville (77 North of Charlotte) to meet him :D

Also update to my ramblings earlier in this thread. I ended up gettign Ball Pythons as my breeding project. I have a very nice male Pastel I plan to eventually mate to my three females (Butter, Pinstripe and Super Pastel). But it will be a year or two before any of the females are ready to breed.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced