• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Reptiles You'd like to own, but would never actually get

casey15

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MEANT AS A WHAT IF, NOT CONSIDERING OWNING ANY OF THESE, JUST FANTASY. I'M SURE YOU GUYS HAVE THEM TOO!

If you could own any reptiles what would they be? Why would you never own them? Mine are....

1) Komodo Dragon
Why I wouldn't
-Large, agressive temper
-cost to house/feed
-endangered
-Strength of lizard
-danger of bite

2) Large Constricting Snake
-Can't be handled alone
-Size of Enclosure
-Cost to feed
-Can't carry around house like smaller species
-Danger of owning constricting snake (no matter your expierence, there's always risk)

3) Alligator/Crocodile
-Agressive temper
-more display animal
-Cost to feed/house
-complication of setting up water filtration system/enclosure

4) Venomous Snake
-These would be possible to own, but I wouldn't because I like to handle my animals aside from cleaning/feeding

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
I wouldn't own crocs or caimans, although I'd consider an alligator if I had the space. I would own a Komodo. They're quite trainable and captive raised ones are gentle. I wouldn't keep a constrictor over ten feet, but I would own some venomous although definitely not anything to large/hard to handle.

Dana C

Without a doubt, a Komodo. I also would love to have an Indigo Snake which are available but are big $$

casey15 said:
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MEANT AS A WHAT IF, NOT CONSIDERING OWNING ANY OF THESE, JUST FANTASY. I'M SURE YOU GUYS HAVE THEM TOO!

If you could own any reptiles what would they be? Why would you never own them? Mine are....

1) Komodo Dragon
Why I wouldn't
-Large, agressive temper
-cost to house/feed
-endangered
-Strength of lizard
-danger of bite

2) Large Constricting Snake
-Can't be handled alone
-Size of Enclosure
-Cost to feed
-Can't carry around house like smaller species
-Danger of owning constricting snake (no matter your expierence, there's always risk)

3) Alligator/Crocodile
-Agressive temper
-more display animal
-Cost to feed/house
-complication of setting up water filtration system/enclosure

4) Venomous Snake
-These would be possible to own, but I wouldn't because I like to handle my animals aside from cleaning/feeding

Actually, Komodos in captivity are quite mild mannered and are perhaps one of the more easily tamed large lizards. Once taken off carrion as a food source and give a 14 day course of antibiotics the bacteria load in their bite isn't really any worse than your Tegu. However, they do have venom which is a very recent discovery.

For me and for most people the cost to feed it would be prohibitive.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thelegendofcharlie said:
A Liopleurodon would be amazing...

"Its a Magical Liopleurodon Charlie!" LOL sorry couldn't help myself.

I would have to say a Lace Monitor, they are available but impossible to get. Also would be a large salty croc, way to big but that would be a bad mam jama to have in a backyard.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Random question, has anyone ever considered collecting fresh roadkill and attempting to make food out of it after proper sanitizing and freezing for a set amount of time to kill of bacteria? I don't know if this is legal or safe which is why I'm asking but it sounds interesting.

Dana C

TegusRawsome80 said:
Random question, has anyone ever considered collecting fresh roadkill and attempting to make food out of it after proper sanitizing and freezing for a set amount of time to kill of bacteria? I don't know if this is legal or safe which is why I'm asking but it sounds interesting.

It is legal as far as I know. If it is fresh, and you'll be able to tell, you can remove some muscle meat which will be parasite free. As you describe, freeze it for several days, sealed. This time of year, unless the kill happens almost in front of you, the meat will spoil very quickly.

My brother cooked in a homeless shelter / mission in Washington, near the coast. The highway patrol would bring fresh road killed bear that a nearby butcher cut for the shelter occasionally.

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
chelvis said:
Thelegendofcharlie said:

I would have to say a Lace Monitor, they are available but impossible to get. Also would be a large salty croc, way to big but that would be a bad mam jama to have in a backyard.

Its come to show us the way...

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thelegendofcharlie said:
chelvis said:
Thelegendofcharlie said:

Its come to show us the way...

To candy mountain! Its Candy mountain Charlie

steve1

i also would do a large python but again the cost of feeding, housing, and me being a potential meal is out.
i would love to get a nile monitor but i hear nothing but horror stories
a big ol water monitor would be cool too
and just out of reach is a green tree monitor

Skeetzy

Well, I only got three on my list. Both of which I hope to make happen later on in life, since the main thing holding me back now is I'm only 20 living at home with limited room. All three are very realistic, well aside from the third. That's pushing it slightly.

But first would be a trio of caiman lizards. I would love to make a small room sized enclosure for them. I think they're among the most beautiful colored lizards available. And I love half land half water enclosures. Think they're amazing to look at.

Second is a green or blue tree monitor. I can never decide which one I like more. But they are fascinating creatures. Love the abborreal style caging.

Third would without a doubt be an American Alligator. I've wanted one of these since I first seen them in my local pet store about 10 years ago. I would want to raise one from birth pretty much, and build it a big outdoor enclosure.

Renske

5 Year Member
I also like
Lace monitors
Komodo dragons
Sea iguanas

But these are posible to get here in Europe. So who knows.. One day..

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
HaHa. That's why my red tegu is named Charlie. And he had two b/w buddies that said, "Here...grab on to our tongues!"

Megalania, defiantly. Why I wouldn't? They're all extinct that's why :(
megalania_as_a_pet____by_patriatyrannus-d2xakn1.jpg
imagesCA693A25.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam