• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

reptileuv.com = WTF are they doing?

redtail2426

5 Year Member
Well I bought two SB 160w megaray bulbs from reptileuv.com about 6 months ago and one of my bulbs was making a slight humming noise and turning on and off for about 5 mins once or twice a week. Then at about three months of use it blew out. My other bulb has been working perfectly with no problems. Now I followed there instructions to a T and sent the busted bulb back. They received it on the 18th of Febuary and I have called them twice once about 2 weeks ago and the lady told me she was unloading the 160w off the truck right now and that they were on backorder and that she would get it out to me right away. Well another week or more has gone by and still nothing so I have to call them up again and the lady says, o the truck we unloaded only had 100w bulbs and it is probably going to be another week before they get there 160w in. I was like ok....... So after all this time it is going to take me a month or more just to get a bulb back after paying an additional $10.00 in shipping and they did not even contact me once to let me know what was going on not even an e-mail. Looks like all of my lighting needs are going to be going to the T-rex MVB since it is megarays design except they actually have more then a shed in the woods for a buisness.

erk

5 Year Member
My Mega-Ray did the same thing and after 3 months of use it died. I just figured my wife must have been misting the enclosure and it blew. Maybe it wasn't her fault after all.

I do notice a positive difference in my animals when using the Mega-Ray opposed to say a Powersun. The new T-rex flood seems to out perform them all, based on <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.uvguide.co.uk">www.uvguide.co.uk</a><!-- w --> testing.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am telling you guys, the Power-Suns are the way to go. I tried the Mega-Rays, and I do not like them, I also do not like the way they turn on and off every 20-30 minutes.

nat

5 Year Member
that's ironic Bobby because I used powersuns for a little while and at $100 a bulb up here, the darn things kept dying in a month or two. I switched to megarays and the first one lasted a year for me (I have yet to reoder but I keep meaning to!) but if their product has declined in quality than maybe I will shop around a bit more

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I only buy from reptileUV..and i never had a problem with any bulb.. But i also havnt ordered anything in a couple of months.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am currently using the new T-Rex flood lights. I bought 3 of them because they were on sale at my local Petco for $20 dollars each. We all know how expensive these things are so I scooped up what was left. I must say I am very pleased with the first one I am using (as I havn't needed to swap it out yet). The light has been drop by me once and knocked over twice by my cat and still it is going strong and keeping the basking area at the correct levels. It has not turned itself off either. I do recommend that you do switch them out somewhere between 6 months to a year though if you don't have a UVB meter. The decay rate for each individual light always varies. I know the T-Rex was getting about a years worth on the UV site but this can always change like I said. I want to try the MegaRay after these.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I haven't read this over yet (forgive me if someone already said this), but I should mention that UVB light technology is pretty bad. Usually about 5% or less of what natural sunlight would provide. That's why I think it's important to take your animals outside or house them outside if the temperatures are right and your animal is not easily stressed. Nothing will ever be able to replace the benefits of natural sunlight.

Check out Bobby's outdoor cages he has for his tegu. I'm willing to bet that housing his tegus outdoors has a lot to do with his level of success. However, if you're new to tegus, house them indoors. There are lots of factors to consider, and even the most experienced keepers make mistakes and sadly lose animals as a result.

I have an interesting article somewhere about the correlation between natural sunlight and the synthesis of calcium in reptiles. I'll do some digging and see if I can find it.

-Chris

erk

5 Year Member
I received my first 160 watt Mega-Ray on 10/26/08. It died after less than 3 month of use. As I stated earlier in this thread, I though it broke because of human error. I ordered a new bulb from them. The second bulb arrived on 1/16/08. Now, 4/2/08 (again, not even 3 months pass) the second has died.

This time I'm sure it wasn't human error. The light was working last night. When my wife went in this morning to mist one of our Tegus, the light was already out. I don't have any electrical problems because everything else in my house is just fine.

This is very frustrating. Especially at $39.95 + $10.00 shipping. After work, I am going to my local pet shop to buy a PowerSun.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks for sharing, you guys. I was looking in to different lights....I think that I will stick with the Powersuns. I don't have much need for UVA/UVB lights though, as I usually take the tegus out every day that they are awake (unless they don't want to be touched.)
XD
I am still waiting for MY tegu to be sent to me...haven't heard from the seller in a few weeks. For now, I am just taking care of Mike's.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We bought (2) Mega-Ray's a year and a half ago for our Bearded Dragons. One of them lasted about a year (blew out) and second is still going (cringe!). The first was replaced by a PowerSun, which I had as a backup. I've gotta replace that old one!!!

dorton

5 Year Member
I have the powersun, thanks to bobby, and its light appears to be many times better than the ZooMed bulb I have in my other enclosure.

All_American

5 Year Member
I know this is an old post. But there may just be something wrong with the 160 Watt bulbs. I had purchased many years ago at least 6 100 Watt bulbs that lasted well over a year. They were used for my beardies and were turned on for 10 hr cycles per day. Not hooked up to a thermostat. That was set up seperate with a heat emmitter. I am wondering if this is why my bulbs lasted so long?

Ed

Tux

5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
I am telling you guys, the Power-Suns are the way to go. I tried the Mega-Rays, and I do not like them, I also do not like the way they turn on and off every 20-30 minutes.

Well after you telling me "they don't last as long as advertised" "the 1 box I was donated was full of dead 1s but hey they were free" and me never having the shutoff problem with the megarays I'll stick with avoiding the powersun not to mention if you check out uvguide the megarays have a better output. When did you try the megaray Bobby? I know they have done a revision or 2 over time.

I do agree about customer service sucking though, they literally lost one of my orders before even shipping it but I know how to talk to people and it was here the same week I talked to the lady.

shiftylarry needs to read up on MVB's. Also I've had 100w's last well over a year 3 months still testing fine with the solarmeter, with that being said it's smart to use a power conditioner on MVBs no mater the brand they are fragile. I know old post but I couldn't help but reply.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
I like the powersuns alot, never had a problem with any of the burning out everyone talks about and they can produce a TON of heat...almost more than enough in some cases, and they are just bright and the tegu loves it. Also, some people fear that the bulb has burned out sometimes, when simply it is on its cooling mode when you try to turn it on, if its been on for a bit and you turn it off, it wont turn back on for a good 10-15 min as a safety device...its not burnt out like some think.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
Well the power-sun i had was either packaged and resold or stopped producing uv after 3 months. LONG STORY SHORT i am going with the fluckers sun-spot (m.v.b) and so far so good. Has anyone had problems or success with Fluckers (m.v.b.)balbs? This is a good topic and deserves to be on the board a while longer!

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
Question for people. Do you ever touch the light fixture such as take it off of an aquarium or move it around? You'll get longer life from it if the bulb isnt tampered with. Mount it somewhere. Though, bulbs are bulbs. Just a little advice that helps me.

alewis0890

5 Year Member
mr.tegu said:
Well the power-sun i had was either packaged and resold or stopped producing uv after 3 months. LONG STORY SHORT i am going with the fluckers sun-spot (m.v.b) and so far so good. Has anyone had problems or success with Fluckers (m.v.b.)balbs? This is a good topic and deserves to be on the board a while longer!

Alot of reptile keepers in general won't touch or go near ANY of flukers product... flukers is a joke from alot of stuff they have done but their bearded dragon prizes they sent out with Yellow Fungus... thats just messed up.

Tux

5 Year Member
Yes flukers isn't a great company it is all about $ not a quality product AVOID. RehabRalphy if I need to move a light I turn it off and let it cool, as I mentioned MVBs are fragile. Also make sure you mount it perfectly level, putting it on an angle also lowers its life (and can make it just not work).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced