• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

rhino iguana or cuban iguana?

frost

1,000+ Post Club
i have been mulling around getting one of these reptiles. i have a few empty cages and lights laying around and figured id get one. but i was looking to get some info on a the people on this site that have either of them. i have done some research and im looking for some imput from anyone here. any general husbandry handling diet that sort of stuff. any info will be appreciated.

Maro1

First I would go with the Cuban if you are wanting a easier to handle Ig. Both are good but Cubans are known to be a bit tamer. Rhinos tame well but can take a bit more work. My Cubans were relaxed right out of the eggs. My main diet staple is Turnip greens dandelions in the spring. Small amounts of fruit like grapes etc. some squash as well as mazuri iguana diet. I also think the more sun you can get think in as opposed to Just artificial uvb the better. Mine spend a lot of time outside when the weather is good. Several others on here do great jobs with their Rhinos and Cubans. Robk, Teguboy77, etc.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I haven't kept a cuban but I did have a rhino, just remember they like it hotter than green iguanas (basking at temps up to 120*)and they eat a lot even the juvis, I gave my rhino a few super worms every other week, their diet is about the same as a green, mines had a staple of collard greens and dandelion greens, plus a huge assortment of fruits and veggies, idk about others but my rhino pooped a lot, sometimes up to 3x in a single day, but he ate 2x a day (sometimes) this is just from my experience, good luck on your new arrival

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I have a cuban and rhino,and had a few rhino's in the past,like stated above there are a couple of people on here that that also take great care of the rhino's and cubans,Maro1,robk,and they too will offer great advise.As far as diet with my two,rhino,cuban,i give them staple greens every day,collards,watercress,arugula,mazuri cow every day.Fruit i give them as a treat like grapes,mango,kiwi,etc.My basking temps are 105 f and there cool side is 80f to 85f,at night i use no lights at all cause there room has its own thermostate set at 70f all the time.Everybody has there own opinion but my basking temps at 105f work perfect for me,other will go alittle higher,when i had my temps at 120 my iguanas wouldnt bask that much,at 105f to 110 my bask more just my opionion.I use megaray uvb bulbs 160watt and i have no problems,again this is what works for my iguanas.I dust there greens with calcium 3 days a week without d3,and multi vitamins twice a week.My cuban is alot calmer than any rhino i've owned and he's only 5 months old,my rhino who's 5 months old is alittle more flighty but not much.They usually say cubans are more docile than rhino's,but i think every cyclura iguanas is going to be alittle different.Good luck with whatever you choose.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
thanks for all the info guys. i should have something to go on now.=] i been looking into a few sellers. where did u guys get your iguanas at? there are a few sites some more expensive than other but all say they are the best.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I golt mines from tom crutchfield also, there is another breeders that's also quite popular but I can think of his name at the moment go figure lol

frost

1,000+ Post Club
i did look at those guys. david blair seems to have some good ones.so does crutchfield.

only problem with crutchfield is that he doesent have normal cubans =/

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Crutchfield is sold out of cubans,check ty park,or www.FloridaIguana.com
on ks i got my high contrast cuban from www.FloridaIguana.com check those two breeders out they have cubans and nice ones at that,both good stock and breeders.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
thanks ill give em a shot.
hmm iv been looking into tortoises too. i want to get one and name it gamera.=] brownie points if u can tell me where thats from.

ugh i want a rhino but i want one i can tame down more. theres also caymen and cubans...=/

RobK.

reptastic said:
but my rhino pooped a lot, sometimes up to 3x in a single day, but he ate 2x a day (sometimes) this is just from my experience, good luck on your new arrival

mine is no longer just going one time in his tub , but 2-4 times a day now and everywhere , so much for having a cleaning smelling cage . :huh:LOL

Noskire

I have had my rhino for 2 years and she has always been fairly tame.
She has tamed more since she turned 2. I guess she feels big enough she can hold her own now.
My neighbor across the street has a cuban about the same age as my rhino, and his has always been a lot less tame than mine.
I think it matters who you get it from and how you interact with your lizard. Both in my opinion can be equally tame.
Not sure if this pic will come through, but this is her enjoying a little soak.
[attachment=4325]

Forgot to mention. I got mine from Ty Park. He is awesome to deal with and prices animals so you get more than you pay for. Some breeders are the opposite so beware.

Attachments

• IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 83

frost

1,000+ Post Club
iv heard good things about ty, if i get some more money from my b day i might get one.

Renske

5 Year Member
Whe have a cyclura nubila nubila egg in the incubator. But we are drom The Netherlands (europe).. So it wil kost à lot of money for you.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Congrats with the eggs.But on another note in 3 to 4 months they''ll be alot of cyclura nubila nubila in the us hatching from breeders so whoever wants a cyclura nubila nubila can purchase one in the us.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam