• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

rose hair tarantula hairs

Compnerd7

The bodies reaction to urticating hairs also has to with your histamine reaction to them. If you want to help the itch go away, run your hands under some VERY hot water, as hot as you can handle for as long as you can handle. This will open up the pores in your skin and wash the bodies reaction away. After the initial burn is gone you should feel some instant relief.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
This is why I don't handle the tarantula at work. I'd much rather get bitten by a big spider than have my hand full of urticating hairs.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wow. I've handled mine for 6yrs and never had an issue. Maybe that is the one thing in life that doesn't give me a reaction. Benadryl lotion would be the best bet for stopping the itch.

Was it just crawling on you? Be careful about touching your eyes, that could be a real nightmare for you!

Dana C

I have not actually seen any of mine kick urticating hairs on me. My B. smithi tried it but missed. However, I have had a few hairs stuck while just handling, which I don't do very often anymore. I have a L. parahybana, a G. pulchrapes and a G. inheringi all of which are 6+ inches. The goliath has HUGE fangs and I would much rather get a few hairs and duct tape them out rather than have her .75" fangs buried in my hand. She is likely 8"+ and growing. She is actually fairly mellow but I don't want to test her. LOL.
Just seeing her is some peoples worst nightmare.
I should also say that in spite of some internet lore, Rosea's can be nasty critters. Mine hasn't tagged me but is none too amenable. She is the least trustworthy of my nine.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
hmm, i wonder if my orange baboon turantula would even let me get close enough to her to get hairs stuck in my hand. but i am much more concerned with her fangs..which are huge. i though of getting a rose hair but i liked the pretty colors.=D i should have recorded me changing her cage around. iv never sounded less manly.lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced