• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Savannah monitor hatchling advice please

Sterben

So my girl brought a new addition to our reptile family earlier this week as a surprise, and it's a baby Savannah monitor about 3-4 inches long.

We already have 2 bearded dragons, a frilled dragon, 3 rat snakes and a Columbian boa so during the day our room temperature is between 80' and 90' so along with the red halogen bulb I put on his tank that stays on all the time the temperature for him is allright both day and night.

Currently with what I have available the little guys on a small tank (temporarily) with a food and water dish, loose Moss for digging and a single hiding hole (again, only temporary until I get a ton of coconut shell for him)

He is slightly aggressive and runs quite often if startled, I'm attempting to get him used to me the same way I did with the frilled, just constant handling until they appear to stressed then they can walk off my hand on their own into their enclosure and I either directly give them food or they see me put food in their bowl.
After a fair amount of research I'm noticing this one may be more difficult than the frilled even, so does anyone have any advice for me?
IMG_20160426_201638619.jpg
IMG_20160426_204905838.jpg
1462026780711-1190455272.jpg

Nezzen

Handle all the time if you want a friendly lizard. Be prepared for a giant enclosure. Make sure temps are good so it doesnt get gut rot. You will read a lot about them being dog tame. Their not. Savys can be a little grumpy. Not bad just grumpy. If were to compare temperment with a mammel it would be a cat that may scratch if pissed.

Nezzen

But just like cats they can be adorable as ****. Just take care of the bugger properly they are close to a lot of peoples hearts.

N8bub

Couldn't help but notice that you didn't mention a uvb bulb. Monitors grow swiftly and need to metabolize calcium properly to ensure healthy growth. Whole prey, high humidity, proper basking temps ( 140 to 150 f) use a temp gun to check the basking spot. I've had several, with constant interactions can make a fine pet

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Couldn't help but notice that you didn't mention a uvb bulb. Monitors grow swiftly and need to metabolize calcium properly to ensure healthy growth. Whole prey, high humidity, proper basking temps ( 140 to 150 f) use a temp gun to check the basking spot. I've had several, with constant interactions can make a fine pet
Yup.

Nezzen

Excuse me i was at work at a call center and couldnt write all i wanted to. But yes temps humidity. Also you forgot to criticize the part where i left out two feet of sandy soil. You left that out as well. I aint no empty cage biotch. Lol.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well, omitting sand was a little offensive. Ha!

On a serious note, Savannahs, green iguanas, and some others have in the past, and even a little now, been dishonestly or at least incorrectly marketed in a way that doesn't account for their captive needs.

I'm glad tegus are expensive. Hope it stays that way so as to minimize impulse buys that hurt only the lizard.

Sterben

Ah **** I did forget that, he does have a uvb bulb and has since been upgraded to a forty gallon breeder tank with a ton of coconut fiber and a much larger water dish, as well as bark to climb on and burrow under, a rock directly under one basking light and a branch angled along half the tank going right up to the lid under a second basking light. He has calmed down and grown a LOT but he still doesn't like to be pet. Readily eats off of tongs and occasionally let's us rub his neck and side when he's soaking.

Nezzen

He needs soil that retains humidity its not so he can have fun burrowing its to retain moisture so he dosent dehydrate

Sterben

His substrate does stay moist all the time, every other day I dump water on it so it stays that way and his giant water dish also gets emptied and refilled every day. To an extent the soil is indeed so he can have fun digging in it so he is comfortable and has an environment that isn't stressful, but I am also making sure he has appropriate humidity. I have several heat lamps over him in order to keep good temperatures, and there are plenty of climbing and basking spots so he con moderate his own heat intake but I realy do need to invest in a temp gun. All in all though, little guys growing like damn wildfire and doing much better than I would have expected

Nezzen

Hows your savannah doing? I have mine trained to come to me when i call...these aninals suprise me every day.

Nezzen

He bites still cause he is healthy everyone once in a blue moon (i call him and he comes to me like nine times and on the tenth time if i dont have a treat he bite lololol)

Sterben

Last I checked he was doing very well, he certainly is healthy, eating off of tongs and allowing us to hold him as well as enjoying the side if his neck being rubbed when he soaks in his water dish. Unfortunately my girl left me and took him and all the lizards except my Nile monitor +who is also doing very well and eating off of tongs, but wobt allow handling yet) with her which is a huge bummer but he is doing well.

On that note, does anyone know if any good monitor breeders out west in arizona or southern California? I'm going to post in the classifieds for that too, but I loved that little guy so much I intend on getting another one or two. I have enough large tanks for a few babies, but I want to keep socializing them so I don't have any issues in the future

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced