• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Should I start over or am I making progress??

Kay

My Tegu is about a month and a half I got him from Underground. I have been doing the water taming. I have been putting my shirt in his enclosure. I even put him in my shirt and let him crawl around while I am wearing it. I sit in the bathroom twice a day for about an hour. While in the bathroom he comes to me and craws on me. He then tries to bury himself under my leg. This is also where I have been feeding him. I can put him on my shoulder and he loves to be in my hair. But if I make any moves while he is beside me he darts as well. At night I put him on me and put a blanket over him and he is fine. He generally darts when I try to get him out of the enclosure. I can put my hand by him and he is fine but as soon as I try to take him out he runs. He now knows I wont take him out of his hide so that is like base to him lol. He never shows any type of aggression at all...he just runs. And he will touch me but if I try to touch him he runs. I am wondering if I should start over as well and leave him in his enclosure for a week??? Thanks

FluffyGoo

My Tegu is about a month and a half I got him from Underground. I have been doing the water taming. I have been putting my shirt in his enclosure. I even put him in my shirt and let him crawl around while I am wearing it. I sit in the bathroom twice a day for about an hour. While in the bathroom he comes to me and craws on me. He then tries to bury himself under my leg. This is also where I have been feeding him. I can put him on my shoulder and he loves to be in my hair. But if I make any moves while he is beside me he darts as well. At night I put him on me and put a blanket over him and he is fine. He generally darts when I try to get him out of the enclosure. I can put my hand by him and he is fine but as soon as I try to take him out he runs. He now knows I wont take him out of his hide so that is like base to him lol. He never shows any type of aggression at all...he just runs. And he will touch me but if I try to touch him he runs. I am wondering if I should start over as well and leave him in his enclosure for a week??? Thanks

Kay, while i'm new to tegu parenting as well I'd say you're making good progress. Your tegu is still young and small.
As mine has gotten larger she's gotten bolder and less skittish when I make rapid movements. She's now over 3 months old. As long as I always moved slowly and approached her gently, she would run away less.
I also take my tegu out each day into the bathroom to feed and socialize. I stopped trying to grab my tegu out of the enclosure to take her out to feed her in and instead let her crawl onto my hand. Then she knows that climbing onto me means I'm letting her out to explore and that she gets fed. Now when I come home she starts clawing at her enclosure to be let out because she knows the routine.

Keep it up! :)

Zyn

It actually sounds like you're ahead of the game. Being jumpy and skittish is a baby thing and won't just go away till they get bigger don't sweat the small things and just keep up the good work. It's a marathon not a race. Thumbs up

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam